Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th June 2010, 03:17 AM
juheimbu Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Sound Issues on FC13 with PulseAudio

Hello all,

I've run into a couple of issues that appear to be related to PulseAudio, and I hope someone here will be able to assist me. First, since I upgraded to FC13 a couple of weeks ago, I get no sound from flash on websites.

Yesterday, I had a need to record some audio into my computer via the mic input. So, I installed Audacity, but it couldn't see the signal coming in, even though it was playing from the sound source. I did a bit of digging and found a note on the PulseAudio website that said that Audacity didn't work with PulseAudio.

So, I removed PulseAudio, rebooted for good measure, and under ALSA, Audacity was able to record from the mic input. When I was finished recording, I started Amarok playing, and I could see the progress indicator moving across the interface, but there was no sound. I checked the mixer, but nothing was muted, and the audio from Audacity was working just fine.

So, I reinstalled PulseAudio.

Today, I needed to do more recording, so I pulled off PulseAudio once more. I did my recording, and then tried Amarok once more without PulseAudio, with the same results. It occured to me that I should try a website with flash and see if those work without PA installed. Indeed they do.

So here's what I have:
  • Audacity can't record from the mic input with PA installed (I did see something about this related to FC12 in another thread, and folks seem to think it should work, so I'll try their suggestions and see if that helps)
  • Amarok doesn't produce sound without PA installed
  • Flash websites don't make sound with PA installed

Does anyone have any suggestions? This all worked while I was using FC12 (though I never tried Audacity), and I've only had problems since I upgraded to FC13.

Thanks!
Justin
Old 10th June 2010, 01:31 PM
marriedto51 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Sound Issues on FC13 with PulseAudio

I've never understood Pulseaudio myself, but...

Do you perhaps need the alsa-plugins-pulseaudio package? (And if you are running 64-bit but using the 32-bit flash plugin you need the i686 version of this package, too.)

For Amarok, maybe you could try re-configuring the KDE phonon backend to see if that gives you any joy: from Amarok, use Settings -> "Configure Amarok"; Playback, then "Configure Phonon".
Old 10th June 2010, 02:14 PM
juheimbu Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by marriedto51 View Post
I've never understood Pulseaudio myself, but...

Do you perhaps need the alsa-plugins-pulseaudio package? (And if you are running 64-bit but using the 32-bit flash plugin you need the i686 version of this package, too.)

For Amarok, maybe you could try re-configuring the KDE phonon backend to see if that gives you any joy: from Amarok, use Settings -> "Configure Amarok"; Playback, then "Configure Phonon".
The package suggestion is a good one. I'll check on that when I get home from work this afternoon. I have messed with the Amarok playback settings, but nothing seems to have any impact without PA installed.

Re: Flash, I'm on a 32-bit machine, so there's no issue of mismatched architectures between flash and the other relevant items.

Thanks for your reply.

Justin
Old 10th June 2010, 03:53 PM
BugRocks1 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

For audacity the only thing needed is that you get pavucontrol(pulseaudio volume control)

Start some sound, start the recording in audacity so it creates a recording stream and open pavucontrol to make sure that the recording stream in the recording tab is using the same things that your monitor input in the tab input device marked to show "All input devices" is showing.

If your Monitor is:

Monitor of Internal Audio Analogue Surround

In recording it should show it is using:

Internal Audio Analogue Surround

Not the standard "Internal Audio Analogue Stereo"

F13 now has a way to test that the gnome-volume-control(the little speaker icon) in the tab hardware.
Old 10th June 2010, 03:56 PM
juheimbu Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Thanks, BugRocks1. That sounds about the same as what I read in a couple of other threads. I'll try it out tonight or sometime this weekend.
Old 10th June 2010, 10:10 PM
robert-e Offline

linuxfirefox

juheimbu,
First of all, bugrocks1 knows pulseaudio better than anyone I have noticed around here. That said, and iff all else fails, you might want to do what I routinely do: remove all pulseaudio, and (related) pa utilities, except for two library files that seem to want to remove the whole desktop as deps. Leave those two.

Go to the forefront website and download ossv4...you can google for this site, as I cant recall the exact url. In the downloads section, get the last ver. rpm. Also download the pdf of the install instructions. (note the capital I should be a lower case i) in the pdf.

You will first have to install a few development files .. listed in the pdf, and yum will install those for you, if you do not already have them installed. (If the install/complile fails, you likely have missed one or more.). Get it and try again.

You will likely have to reboot, and again from root run the test sound, ossxmix, and savemixer utilities. There is also one other which name I cant recall now, that creates some directories and files. Try it out, and if you like it, keep it. If not, just run the uninstall command as per the pdf, and it will be gone. You might have to yum re-install some of the alsa rpms, but that is about all. Note that user permissions allow the ossxmix utility to run, but to make the settings stick, savemixer has to be run from root. Then the setting will stay over boots. If the kernel changes, ossv4 autiomatically relinks to the kernel on the "new kernel" reboot. It takes about a minute to do so.

I do think that pulseaudio has some future in linux, but unfortunatly due to the "bleeding edge" nature of fedora, it will be broken, and will break software usage for some time to come. I will try it every once in a while to see how it is coming, but in the meantime, I stick with ossv4. Everything I have tried works with it, including some of the programs that require direct, realtime access to the soundcard dsp functions.

Long and rambling, but I hope you find a solution that works for you.

Regards,
Bob

Last edited by robert-e; 10th June 2010 at 10:13 PM. Reason: fix typos
Old 10th June 2010, 10:29 PM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfedorafirefox

on the audacity / PA thing: that used to be correct, but a Fedora dev contributed patches that resolved that issue a while back, and recent versions of audacity do work with PA when correctly configured.

I don't have a problem with Flash videos with PA; what Flash plugin are you using exactly?
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 11th June 2010, 02:39 AM
juheimbu Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
on the audacity / PA thing: that used to be correct, but a Fedora dev contributed patches that resolved that issue a while back, and recent versions of audacity do work with PA when correctly configured.

I don't have a problem with Flash videos with PA; what Flash plugin are you using exactly?
Shockwave Flash

File: nswrapper_32_32.libflashplayer.so
Version:
Shockwave Flash 10.0 r45

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash swf Yes
application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player spl Yes
Old 11th June 2010, 04:35 AM
BugRocks1 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamW View Post

The patch was about auto detection?
Because on a fresh install of Fedora 12 and 13 at least pulseaudio defaults to Internal Audio Analogue stereo and not the source/sink configured by the profile chosen and that is why so many people complain about it not working.

Even on kvm the default is that and has to be changed for audacity to start working and pulseaudio store the stream settings in the database.

ps: maybe unrelated, but by installing gmixer and probably other sound controls pulseaudio loose the ability to restore sound settings and needs to be set manually at every boot, that can also cause problems because people think things are correctly configured and don't check it again to see if anything changed.

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM CDT ----------

BTW, there are 2 packages that have some auto-detection capabilities if they work I don't really know, it made no difference for me installed or otherwise that I could notice but then again I'm known to no pay close attention to things and be wrong so I will just throw the packages names and hope it is of some use to anyone.

pulseaudio-libs-zeroconf
pulseaudio-module-zeroconf

One if for the client and the other is for the server(pulseaudio) you need both(I think).

Last edited by BugRocks1; 11th June 2010 at 02:47 AM.
Old 11th June 2010, 02:55 PM
juheimbu Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugRocks1 View Post
For audacity the only thing needed is that you get pavucontrol(pulseaudio volume control)

Start some sound, start the recording in audacity so it creates a recording stream and open pavucontrol to make sure that the recording stream in the recording tab is using the same things that your monitor input in the tab input device marked to show "All input devices" is showing.

If your Monitor is:

Monitor of Internal Audio Analogue Surround

In recording it should show it is using:

Internal Audio Analogue Surround

Not the standard "Internal Audio Analogue Stereo"

F13 now has a way to test that the gnome-volume-control(the little speaker icon) in the tab hardware.

Thanks, again. I installed alsa-plugins-pulseaudio as recommended by marriedto51, and that has made a difference - now I see ALSA: pulse as a device option for recording input. My only other option is ALSA: default.

I've also got pavucontrol open, and I see a recording stream appear when I start monitoring input in Audacity. But, I don't seem to be able to get it to read from the line in jack on the side of the computer. It's picking up sounds, but those appear to be from my webcam and from the onboard microphones (this is a laptop, and the webcam has a built-in mic - so 2 mic sources).

Those aren't really useful to me, though. I have the settings put together as you suggested, but it's not picking up the signal.

I'll try the zeroconf packages and see if they help.

Thanks,
Justin

---------- Post added at 08:55 AM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 AM CDT ----------

Update:

I now have sound from Flash, which I attribute to the alsa plugins package.

I installed the two zeroconf packages, but to no avail.

One final item - I've noticed that when I bring the volume down below 18%, it goes silent, instead of gradually approaching silence as it approaches 0. Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks again!
Justin
Old 11th June 2010, 03:38 PM
weitjong Online

linuxfedorafirefox

You have more than one audio input device. Have you told PA which input device to use?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.png
Views:	207
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	19675
Old 11th June 2010, 03:54 PM
juheimbu Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I've spent a good amount of time switching between them. None of them seems to allow Audacity to pick up the signal on the mic jack.
Old 11th June 2010, 04:35 PM
weitjong Online

linuxfedorafirefox

Have you tried to test record directly just using ALSA?
Code:
$ arecord -l
From the output, determine which card-no and device-no are corresponding to your mic. Then try to record using something like:
Code:
$ arecord -D plughw:card-no,device-no testing.wav
Ctrl+C to end the recording and test play the wav file using aplay. If this does not work, the problem could lie with your hardware setup or ALSA mixer setting.
Old 11th June 2010, 08:57 PM
juheimbu Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by weitjong View Post
Have you tried to test record directly just using ALSA?
Code:
$ arecord -l
From the output, determine which card-no and device-no are corresponding to your mic. Then try to record using something like:
Code:
$ arecord -D plughw:card-no,device-no testing.wav
Ctrl+C to end the recording and test play the wav file using aplay. If this does not work, the problem could lie with your hardware setup or ALSA mixer setting.
Here's my output:

arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: U0x46d0x809 [USB Device 0x46d:0x809], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Based on this output (knowing I don't want to record from the webcam), I entered this command:

arecord -D plughw:1,0 testing.wav

And got this output:

arecord: main:608: audio open error: Device or resource busy.

I understand the error conceptually, but I don't know how to go about finding what's got it tied up.

Thanks,
Justin

---------- Post added at 02:57 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM CDT ----------

Some progress: If I reboot with a sound source attached to the mic jack, it's visible to the system. I can see clearly that the external source is what's feeding the monitor in pavucontrol.

Audacity seems to see it, but records for a split second, and then gives up.

Thanks,
Justin
Old 14th June 2010, 11:33 PM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfedorafirefox

bugrocks1: no, not that. That should really be fixed Audacity side; it should be able to tell when PA is running, and control the input / output sources via PA in that case. I don't think there's a patch for that yet.

The patch I'm talking about made Audacity work with PA at all. There was a problem with the sound library that Audacity uses which actually made it completely incompatible with PA for a long time; you couldn't use the two together. Not just a configuration issue.
http://www.happyassassin.net

Tags
amarok, audacity, flash, pulseaudio, sound