Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th July 2010, 08:28 PM
JohnRock Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Fedora 13: How to find right video driver for ATI video card?

I am setting up Fedora 13 on a Dell optiplex 755 with the following video hardware installed:

/sbin/lspci -nn | grep 'VGA\|NV'
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [FireMV 2200 PCI] [1002:5965] (rev 01)

How can I find/install the right driver for this video card?
Old 16th July 2010, 09:05 PM
Zanpactou Offline
Banned

linuxopera
Re: Fedora 13: How to find right video driver for ATI video card?

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
If your card isn't supported by the ati Linux drivers, you will have to settle with the open source ones that will be working for you when you install.

Thanks,
Zanpactou
Old 16th July 2010, 10:41 PM
JohnRock Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

"If your card isn't supported by the ati Linux drivers"

How do I determine that? What are the ati Linux drivers and how are they different than the ones that are automatically installled after a new installation?

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM CDT ----------

This is the output I checked for my video card. Can someone spot whether or not this video card should be able to support 3d graphics/dual monitor in F13? Currently it can't do either and I am not sure if there is a way or if this video card won't work.

/sbin/lspci -nn | grep 'VGA\|NV'
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [FireMV 2200 PCI] [1002:5965] (rev 01)

[root@1440-9-dev-w111 ~]# glxinfo | grep -i "\(render\|opengl\)"
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R200 (RV280 5965) 20090101 TCL DRI2
OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 7.8.1
OpenGL extensions:
[root@1440-9-dev-w111 ~]#
Old 17th July 2010, 01:42 AM
Zanpactou Offline
Banned

linuxopera

Did you even visit the link I posted???
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRock View Post
"If your card isn't supported by the ati Linux drivers"

How do I determine that?
Visit the link I posted and follow the wizard on the page through. It will provide you with a link if your card has a proprietary ati driver for Linux.

Quote:
What are the ati Linux drivers and how are they different than the ones that are automatically installled after a new installation?
The proprietary ati drivers for Linux are drivers for ati graphics cards which are developed by ati. Fedora does not ship ati's proprietary drivers because it goes against Fedora's software policy. Fedora ships with the open source ati drivers that are developed by the open source community and not by ati.

The problem with the open source ati drivers is that they lack many features, such as 3D support for many cards because the open source drivers are reversed engineered without ati's help.

If you want the driver that can make the most of your graphics card, you should try to install the proprietary ati driver for your card if it exists which you can download from ati's web site using the link I provided.
Even after that, the proprietary ati driver may not work with the current version of the xserver you have installed, which is another reason why the open source drivers exist. Blame ati for not being more involved in FOSS if it doesn't work but it's worth a try.

It might even be that all you need to do is add the rpmfusion repos, and install akmod-catalyst using yum instead. However, someone would need to confirm that is a suitable driver for your card. Have you used the catalyst drivers with your card in Windows?

Thanks,
Zanpactou
Old 17th July 2010, 02:34 AM
JohnRock Offline

linuxchrome

Thank you for the link and your help.

I did visit the link you cited, and it said that there was a driver for my card:
ATI Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver 8.25.18 - Automated installer and Display Drivers for XFree86 4.3 and X.Org 6.7, 6.8, 6.9, 7.0

However, like you mention, I had read in many posts (e.g. http://www.fedorafaq.org/#radeon) that the proprietary ati driver does not work in F13 even though it purports to. So, I didn't think the ati page would be of any help to me. Unless I am wrong about that? Didn't want to try installing the driver to end up with the black screen of death and not know how to get out of that.

I have not used catalyst drivers and have no experience with them.

I would like the full 3d support, and need to be able to set up a dual monitor at least. Neither of which I can do at the moment. I would even just go buy a new video card but I think the dell machine needs to use an ATI card and I am not sure which ATI card would actually work. This was so much easier with Nvidia....
Old 17th July 2010, 04:36 AM
David Batson Offline

windows_7opera

Your card is not supported by the ATI propriatary driver in any current Linux release because of the X server (xorg) version. You can still get 3D effects with the open source driver (generally speaking). Try using the nomodeset kernel boot parameter for better performance.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NzExOQ

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...0_legacy&num=1

http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATIRadeon

http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Radeon
Old 17th July 2010, 06:17 PM
JohnRock Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Batson View Post
Try using the nomodeset kernel boot parameter for better performance.
Could you elaborate on how to do this? What should this do?
Old 17th July 2010, 10:49 PM
Zanpactou Offline
Banned

linuxopera

Quote:
Could you elaborate on how to do this? What should this do?
When your machine boots, press the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard repeatedly until the grub menu appears and you are at the grub boot menu.
Select the top most Fedora kernel entry on the screen using the arrow keys and then press the e key. Then press the e key again. Then type nomodeset and press enter.
Finally press the b key.

That's how you add kernel parameters on the fly to the kernel using grub.

If that works for you, make that change permanent by editing /boot/grub/grub.conf as root or super user then save it.

Thanks,
Zanpactou
Old 19th July 2010, 08:01 AM
Memysabu Offline

linuxopera

@John Catalyst 10.7 releases within 2 days. It is rumored to support Xorg 1.8.
Old 19th July 2010, 08:20 PM
David Batson Offline

windows_7opera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memysabu View Post
@John Catalyst 10.7 releases within 2 days. It is rumored to support Xorg 1.8.
It doesn't matter if Catalyst 10.7 supports Xorg 1.8 or not with the card that John has. Catalyst 10.7 will not support these older cards.

Last edited by David Batson; 19th July 2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 19th July 2010, 11:19 PM
Zanpactou Offline
Banned

linuxopera

Quote:
It doesn't matter if Catalyst 10.7 supports Xorg 1.8 or not with the card that John has. Catalyst 10.7 will not support these older cards.
Thanks David. So we now know that the card doesn't support the Catalyst drivers but it's good to know that there will be Catalyst support coming to Fedora 13 soon, thanks Memysabu.

However, I think that this means that because the card is old, John needs to run an older version of Fedora in order to get the ati driver to do 3D acceleration at this time. I'm not sure ati will be updating those drivers for older cards or not.
The only other option is to wait for the open source drivers to do 3D but that might be years if ever.

Thanks,
Zanpactou
Old 19th July 2010, 11:52 PM
David Batson Offline

linuxopera

I believe the open source ati (radeon) driver should do some amount of 3D with that card.

It's true the propriatary driver will likely work better, but one would have to go back several releases of Fedora to be able to use Catalyst 9.3. I wasn't using Fedora back then, so I don't know which version that would be (perhaps F10 ?).

http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/RadeonFeature

EDIT: I just noticed it appears the propriatary driver, Catalyst version 9.3, only supports cards back to R300.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoronix
Catalyst 9.3 is due out later this month and it will be the last unified release that supports the all Radeon GPUs going back to the R300 series.

Last edited by David Batson; 19th July 2010 at 11:56 PM.
Old 20th July 2010, 12:23 AM
Zanpactou Offline
Banned

linuxopera

Quote:
That's actually quite a positive map. They really have come a long way in bringing ati support to xorg.

So basically John has the best video driver available for his card in Fedora 13 already running. There is nothing to do.
Unless he wants to run the old ati driver release for his card, (Which is not part of the catalyst driver release) and to do so, he must run a distribution that uses a pretty old xserver.

Thanks,
Zanpactou

Tags
ati, card, driver, fedora, video