linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Alienware M11X Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by docdrow;1402584
[CODE
echo blacklist nouveau >/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist nouveau[/CODE]

And rebuild your initrd after placing that blacklist file in modprobe.d:

Code:
new-kernel-pkg --package kernel --kminitrd --dracut --depmod --install $(uname -r)
And finally, build this hack module You'll have to do this everytime you update your kernel:

Code:
make clean
make
mv m11xr2hack.ko /usr/local/lib
chmod 0400 /usr/local/lib/m11xr2hack.ko
See attached Makefile and m11xr2hack.c

-George
Okay, I don't know what the new-kernel-pkg command line is supposed to do, but there seems to be no "--package" option and when I pull it out it still doesn't work.

As for the blacklist line? I assume you meant to use a different name like .../blacklist.conf or .../blacklist.nouveau ?
Old 28th September 2010, 05:39 PM
docdrow Offline

linuxchrome

Aaargh, I sware my keyboard wasn't working this morning. I've edited my post to fix the typos, look again erroneus! Sorry about that.
Old 28th September 2010, 05:47 PM
evad Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by docdrow View Post
Sorry, I had a typo in mine. No need for that debug kernel now guys! Here ya go.

In /etc/rc.d/rc.local put:
Code:
echo 0 >/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:01:00.0/enable
echo 1 >/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:01:00.0/remove
insmod /usr/local/lib/m11xr2hack.ko
rmmod /usr/local/lib/m11xr2hack.ko
Ha, works for me!

Code:
[root@v3300 hacked]# insmod m11xr2hack.ko 
[root@v3300 hacked]# echo 0 >/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:01:00.0/enable
[root@v3300 hacked]# echo 1 >/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:01:00.0/remove
[root@v3300 hacked]# lspci | grep -i vga
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 18)
So we have nVidia switched off - now time to switch it on and get rid of Intel somehow. :)
Old 28th September 2010, 06:02 PM
docdrow Offline

linuxchrome

Evad,

Careful, just doing the proc/pci stuff to remove the card from your 'inventory' doesn't actually turn off the power. You'll notice that your battery drain rate will not change.

You still have to do the ACPI method calls (via the module I hacked or some other way) to actually turn off the power.

The pci/proc disable/remove stuff probably isn't necessary, I just do that to make sure that there's no way the card could be used once I've removed power. I've hung my system hard one too many times already

It's safe and probably best to do the proc/pci disable/remove stuff before loading m11xr2hack.ko

-G
Old 28th September 2010, 09:05 PM
erroneus Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

One last edit to make on your instructions:

In rc.local, the PATH variable is not yet set and so it doesn't find the commands "insmod" and "rmmod". So you can either export the PATH to include /sbin or you can prepend /sbin to the command lines for insmod and rmmod. I chose the prepend option.

Seems to be working for me though.
Old 28th September 2010, 11:24 PM
evad Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Evad,

Careful, just doing the proc/pci stuff to remove the card from your 'inventory' doesn't actually turn off the power. You'll notice that your battery drain rate will not change.

You still have to do the ACPI method calls (via the module I hacked or some other way) to actually turn off the power.
I see. So basically I'd still need to follow how-to from this post, right?
Old 29th September 2010, 04:33 AM
docdrow Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by evad View Post
I see. So basically I'd still need to follow how-to from this post, right?
Yeah, that one will work, but it'll require you to install and run the debug kernel which runs much slower, or, build your own kernel with just acpi debug enabled.

I think this method is a bit easier: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpo...4&postcount=45
Old 29th September 2010, 10:12 PM
evad Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Yeah, that one will work, but it'll require you to install and run the debug kernel which runs much slower, or, build your own kernel with just acpi debug enabled.

I think this method is a bit easier: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpo...4&postcount=45
Thanks. I'll give it a try at some point.

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM CDT ----------

Quote:

Btw, you mentioned that I'd still need to do these acpi calls to switch nvidia off. Where does that happen in your suggested howto?
Old 29th September 2010, 11:16 PM
erroneus Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:

Actually, I do not have a debug kernel installed and the m11xr2hack,ko thing works perfectly for me.

I haven't done a before and after power sampling yet, but I trust that it works anyway The dmesg reflects that it loads and runs just fine anyway.

I wonder if there would be a way to write the hack module to read from a text file somewhere so it can be used for further experimentation?
Old 7th October 2010, 08:51 PM
erroneus Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

There has been a new acpi_call version out. Are we using that or still using the one created for m11x-r2? I haven't seen any new info on this thread so just wondering.
Old 8th October 2010, 04:52 PM
docdrow Offline

linuxchrome

The new acpi_call doesn't support ACPI type BUFFER, it only does integers and strings.

As far as I can tell, the NVOP ACPI Method requires Buffer. I'm sure further modifications can be done to acpi_call to support this.

I'm still using my m11xr2hack, but... there's been some unfortunate news here. My kid knocked my laptop off the counter and it took a 5 foot drop onto the kitchen floor. Ugh.

I just shipped it back to dell for repair. I'll get back to working on this when I get it back.
Old 8th October 2010, 05:04 PM
erroneus Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
The new acpi_call doesn't support ACPI type BUFFER, it only does integers and strings.

As far as I can tell, the NVOP ACPI Method requires Buffer. I'm sure further modifications can be done to acpi_call to support this.

I'm still using my m11xr2hack, but... there's been some unfortunate news here. My kid knocked my laptop off the counter and it took a 5 foot drop onto the kitchen floor. Ugh.

I just shipped it back to dell for repair. I'll get back to working on this when I get it back.
You shipped the computer to Dell or the kid?

Wow. My Dell laptops all have on-site service for that very reason. It's worth the extra money. My Dell D830... I spilled apple juice on it less than two weeks after getting it. I was still deeply distraught, but at least it was handled... fairly expeditiously and I didn't have to ship it anywhere.

I look forward to whatever you come up with next. I wonder if you could incorporate whatever changes were added to the ACPI_CALL thing with your version and include the buffer thing? I guess it is only good for testing and playing -- once the methods are fully tested and determined, such flexibility would no longer be needed.

Here's to hoping a speedy return for your m11x.
Old 9th October 2010, 12:30 AM
jraskal Offline

linuxchrome

Hi All,

Are the following steps the correct path to trying out post #45:

First run acpi_call, from http://github.com/mkottman/acpi_call, like so:
git clone http://github.com/mkottman/acpi_call.git
cd acpi_call
make
sudo insmod acpi_call.ko
./test_off.sh
When I run ./test_off.sh all the outputs comeback as FAILED. Am I doing something wrong?

Assuming I get it to work, I then follow the steps in post 45?

How would I proceed if I don't have a /etc/rc.d/ folder. I do however have a rc1.d, rc2.d, rc3.d, rc4.d, rc5.d, and rc6.d folder.

Btw, I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 and kernel 2.6.32-25 through a WUBI install on a m11x r2. Thanks in advance!
Old 9th October 2010, 12:37 AM
erroneus Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraskal View Post
Hi All,

Are the following steps the correct path to trying out post #45:

First run acpi_call, from http://github.com/mkottman/acpi_call, like so:
git clone http://github.com/mkottman/acpi_call.git
cd acpi_call
make
sudo insmod acpi_call.ko
./test_off.sh
When I run ./test_off.sh all the outputs comeback as FAILED. Am I doing something wrong?

Assuming I get it to work, I then follow the steps in post 45?

How would I proceed if I don't have a /etc/rc.d/ folder. I do however have a rc1.d, rc2.d, rc3.d, rc4.d, rc5.d, and rc6.d folder.

Btw, I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 and kernel 2.6.32-25 through a WUBI install on a m11x r2. Thanks in advance!
If I were you, I would more closely follow the modified hack version put out by docdrow. It focuses specifically on the M11xR2 and actually does something useful.

As for being an Ubuntu user? I have to say that this is a first for me. Usually Ubuntu *leads the way" where solutions to problems are concerned. Amazing to me that Ubuntu users aren't leading the charge. Unfortunately, as you can see here, docdrow is paused in his efforts.
Old 9th October 2010, 01:12 AM
jraskal Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by erroneus View Post
If I were you, I would more closely follow the modified hack version put out by docdrow. It focuses specifically on the M11xR2 and actually does something useful.

As for being an Ubuntu user? I have to say that this is a first for me. Usually Ubuntu *leads the way" where solutions to problems are concerned. Amazing to me that Ubuntu users aren't leading the charge. Unfortunately, as you can see here, docdrow is paused in his efforts.
So are the steps posted in step 45 independent of other prerequisite "steps/hacks"?

I'm rather new to Linux in general (just a week or so playing around), and Ubuntu is the first Linux Distro I've tried of late. Last time I installed Linux it was Lindows, and that as a looooong time ago.

Tags
alienware, m11x, thread