Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Security and Privacy
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Security and Privacy Sadly, malware, spyware, hackers and privacy threats abound in today's world. Let's be paranoid and secure our penguins, and slam the doors on privacy exploits.

Old 19th July 2010, 07:28 PM
remarkable Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
LUKS encryption at partition level or LVM?

I'm planning a fresh F13 install, with separate partitions for /boot, /home, /tmp, /, and swap. All but /boot will be logical volumes, and I'd like to encrypt all but boot. If I encrypt the underlying partitions, is there any reason to also encrypt the logical volumes themselves?

my system will be:
HP dv6-3040us Pavillion laptop
AMD Phenon II
4GB DDR3
Old 20th July 2010, 12:34 AM
bodhi.zazen Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Re: LUKS encryption at partition level or LVM?

easiest way is to make a single crypt, use the crypt as a PV , then make your LV.

This way you have separate partitions (as you wish) within a single crypt. The advantage is you would only need to enter your password once as you boot.
Old 20th July 2010, 01:50 AM
remarkable Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

thanks for your reply. My reasoning for separate partitions for /home, /tmp, and swap is for future Fedora releases - I'll create a new PV/VG for F14, and just drag /home along. And since one (F12, F13, F14, ...) runs at a time, it can use the same /tmp and swap (I actually carve those two from the same VG). Does that make sense?
Old 21st July 2010, 07:38 PM
bodhi.zazen Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by remarkable View Post
thanks for your reply. My reasoning for separate partitions for /home, /tmp, and swap is for future Fedora releases - I'll create a new PV/VG for F14, and just drag /home along. And since one (F12, F13, F14, ...) runs at a time, it can use the same /tmp and swap (I actually carve those two from the same VG). Does that make sense?
Yes. The only 'problem" you may have , each install tends to re-format swap. So to recycle it across your installs you will need to edit /etc/fstab.

If you have enough RAM perhaps you do not need a swap.

Tags
encryption, level, luks, lvm, partition