Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st July 2010, 07:08 PM
plrsmith Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Thumbs down WebCamStudio- no loopback device

I have extracted the WebCamStudio java application into a folder in my Fedora 13 x86_64 installation. I can run WebCamStudio with the command java -jar "WebcamStudio.jar".

I can successfully select sources and view preview etc. However, the bottom status line permanently states "no output". There is no vloopback device to select in Cheese, camstream, Skype, AMsn etc. Does anyone know how I can get the loopback device to work?

I have added my username to the group "video"

I only have /dev/video0 - should there be another module for the loopback device?

Linux 2.6.33.6-147.fc13.x86_64
WebcamStudio 0.55a
Old 21st July 2010, 07:58 PM
SiliconSlick Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: WebCamStudio- no loopback device

FC13 should have the loop back device built into the kernel so no module should be needed. i.e.

$ grep DEV_LOOP /usr/src/kernels/`uname -r`/.config
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=y

so you should already have some /dev/loop* files. See "man losetup" for details. e.g.

sudo losetup -f

should list the first available loopback device (/dev/loop0 if nothing else is using loopbacks).

SS
Old 21st July 2010, 11:00 PM
plrsmith Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Thank you SS

/dev/loop0 is my first available loopback device.

Sorry, but I do not understand how I am supposed to use this with WebcamStudio, Flor example if I want to use this device as a virtual webcam and send movies or pictures or my desktop through this loopback to Skype, AMsn, camstream etc.

I understood that WebcamStudio would make an entry for the loopback device in the input dropdown list for these programs.

How can I use /dev/loop0?

Thank you for your help
Old 21st July 2010, 11:24 PM
SiliconSlick Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I got no idea. Not even sure that is the same type of loopback device WebCamStudio wants... I've never used it. I was just trying to answer the general 'no loopback device" question.

A quick Google of "WebCamStudio loopback" turns up this page:

http://www.ws4gl.org/download/manual-installation

which implies it has its own loopback module that needs to be loaded (assuming it has been built). You might look the info there over since it sounds like you are doing it manually (and not from RPMs... if there are any).

SS

Tags
device, loopback, webcamstudio