Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd July 2010, 02:43 PM
mjung Offline

linuxfirefox
knetworkmanager starts with Wireless disabled

I have two laptops here, a Lenovo T510 and a Lenovo Ideapdad S12, both running Fedora 13 with KDE4. On the T510 wireless worked out of the box and is enabled when I boot it, on the S12 it's not. I have the wl driver installed but every time I boot the laptop wireless is disabled in knetworkmanager. I have to manually enabled it, then wait a few seconds until it establishes a connection to my already configured wireless networks.

Any ideas where I could start looking?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!
Old 24th July 2010, 12:36 AM
Bender_Unit#21 Offline

windows_7chrome
Re: knetworkmanager starts with Wireless disabled

Have you tried to set it to activate automatically with the network-device-control (or maybe just network, not on F13 right now) system applet?
Old 14th August 2010, 10:04 AM
mjung Offline

linuxfirefox

It was set to activate automatically.

It was a laptop specific problem. I've installed Fedora on a Lenovo Thinkpad T510 and wireless starts as it should. Same thing on an Ideapad U350. Good thing we've decided to NOT get the S12 for our employees but provide them with the U350 instead
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!
Old 14th August 2010, 10:15 AM
Smart Viking Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

What do you mean by not activated? Like it is available but you have to press connect for it to connect?

You could make a little startup script with nmcli, this is an example(yours will be different):

Code:
nmcli con up id "System eth0"
You can use both uuid and id/name, to find out what they are simply use

Code:
nmcli con
Old 14th August 2010, 10:18 AM
mjung Offline

linuxfirefox

There's a small checkbox in knetworkmanager when you click the symbol in the KDE panel that reads "enable wireless connections" which needs to be checked for knetworkmanager to, surprise surprise, enable wireless connections. This checkbox was not checked after I restarted the laptop but disabled. I had to manually click on it, then wait a few seconds for knetworkmanager to automatically connect to my pre-configured wireless network.

Anyway, it's a mood point anyway. I've given that laptop to my wife yesterday, with Windows 7 Professional on it. We initially intented to use this laptop as successor to the S10 because our users were not too happy with the keyboard but have now switched to the U350. The two company laptops for the next few years are the Thinkpad T510 and the Ideapad U350. But run Fedora just fine, I even managed to get the internal 3G card up and running.

Tags
disabled, knetworkmanager, starts, wireless