Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th October 2004, 04:14 PM
essdeeay Offline

Question eth0 or wlan0 - which to use?

Hi there (this is my 1st post btw)...

I'm running FC 2.6.8-1.521 and have managed (after a steep learning curver) to install/configure my Atmel based wireless USB LAN adapter (and again after yum decided to update my kernel!).

However, currently I'm using it as a VMWare host, and according to VMWare website, wireless bridged networking in Linux isn't supported in current versions of VMWare.

Hmm I thought..., so I copied /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 to ifcfg-eth1 and renamed the corresponding DEVICE entry within, et "voila!" I have eth0 (cable) and eth1 (wireless) - both of which work and display as eth(x) using ifconfig. I was trying to fool VMWare into thinking it wasn't a wireless connection but it didn't work.

Although this will be posted on VMWare forum too, does anyone have any ideas or a workaround?

Kind regards,
Steve
Old 15th October 2004, 11:28 PM
essdeeay Offline

Hold the fort! - I solved the problem.

My Fedora host has a wired network card aswell as the USB wireless one. I made VMWare bridge the wired card instead, and once I worked out how to enable IP forwarding, everything works tickety-boo!

Also, to avoid confusion, I changed the name eth1 back to wlan0.

Thanks to anyone who spent time mulling this over.
Steve

Tags
eth0, wlan0