Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th July 2010, 12:47 PM
The New World Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Unable to see .ogg tags on Cowon S9

I don't know if this is the right place to post this.
When I transfer my .ogg music files to my cowon s9, it doesn't recognise the tags so all I see is "unknown" for album, song and artist. I have tried retagging using easytag but it still shows up as unknown but when I converted an album to mp3, the tags automatically showed up.
I know it would be easier just to convert all my songs to mp3 but the reason I chose the cowon was its ability to play .ogg files, my preferred choice of music file.
The odd thing is I had a D2 until I lost it and that showed the tags ok.
Old 27th July 2010, 10:12 PM
itachi Offline

unknownunknown
Re: Unable to see .ogg tags on Cowon S9

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but there are a few sites, telling you that you shouldn't plug in a cowon s9 into a linux box, because it can brick it - unfortunately.
here a Link to a thread, discussing this problem cowon brick
It's the reason I haven't bought an S9, although I really wanted to. For your tags problem, I can't help you. I can only wish you luck that Fedora doesn't brick your S9. Instead, can you answer me some questions?
1) How long do you use the S9 with Fedora/Linux in geneal?
2) Firmwareupgrade?
3) Has Cowon responded to the claimed problems recently?
Thank you.
Old 28th July 2010, 11:43 AM
The New World Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quite an interesting read, that thread about bricking but it looked like some mac and windows users had the problem too and the s9 at fault was the 32gb, mine's the 16gb.
As for your questions, I only bought my cowon a week ago and have had only one problem with it which was removing deleted files but I solved that by reformatting it. Apart from that it works when plugged into my F12 main pc and F13 Dell laptop. I successfully upgraded firmware, although I suspect it had the new upgrade already installed, which didn't fix my tag problem but after googling other forums found that the .ogg tag problem was caused by the firmware upgrade so I have decided to wait until next upgrade to see if the problem corrects itself. instead of risking a downgrade.
Old 20th August 2010, 02:49 PM
itachi Offline

unknownunknown

Nope. Also heard that the same problem also exists with the 16Gb etc etc. Nonetheless.. wish you luck. Unfortunately, Cowon doesn't build mp3 players like the X5L anymore (I had this one, until some ******* stole it from me as we slept at the rail station - waiting for the next train) . Don't know how this happened.
<- like to break this guy's bones.

Tags
cowon, ogg, tags, unable