Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th August 2010, 08:58 PM
manythanks Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Acer Aspire 5103WLMi Internal microphone not working and webcam problem

I have installed Fedora 13 on an Acer Aspire 5103WLMi notebook and have two problems which are preventing me from using Skype version 2.1...

Problem 1: The internal microphone which is built-in to the notebook does not work. The internal microphone is not recognised in Sound Preferences. The best Profile under Sound Preferences, Hardware tab is Analogue Stereo Duplex because this recognises the microphone jack and line-in jack under the Input tab however, none of the Profile options show the internal microphone under the Input tab. When I had Windows Vista installed on this notebook the internal microphone worked, the sound was controlled via Realtek software and I presume that the Realtek software installed the correct drivers.

Problem 2: The built-in notebook notebook webcam works using the software Camorama version 0.19. The webcam does not work in Skype version 2.1 even though I have tried selecting webcam in Skype options under Video Devices. When I was using Windows Vista on this notebook the driver was an Orbicam driver.

Can anyone help me with either of these problems?

I am new to Linux Fedora and am not familiar with Linux commands in Terminal. I installed Skype using Autoten. I installed Camorama v0.19 using Add/Remove Software.

I have looked on the Realtek website and found AC'97 Audio Codecs for Linux (2.4 or 2.6) version 4.06a. After extracting the files and reading the install and Read Me it appears that the drivers included are Alsa drivers. It appears that alsa drivers are already installed after searching for Alsa in Add/Remove Software and so I can't see any point in trying to install these manually. I found the Realtek Linux audio pack at http://www.realtek.com/downloads/dow...&GetDown=false

I have searched around for Linux Acer Orbicam drivers and found this website http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/ which lists Acer Orbicam as a supported device (Acer OrbiCam Acer Aspire 7730ZG-343G32Mn notebooks). However after downloading (tarball file from http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb/ ) and extracting the files it appears that these are v4l video drivers which again look like they are already installed, shown under Add/Remove Software as the Xorg X11 v4l video driver (0.2.0-4.fc13.1).

Last edited by manythanks; 18th August 2010 at 01:03 PM. Reason: After more searching for Realtek audio and Acer Orbicam drivers...
Old 19th August 2010, 06:45 PM
manythanks Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Acer Aspire 5103WLMi Internal microphone not working and webcam problem

I have decided to install the Realtek driver (realtek-linux-audiopack-4.06a) manually to see if this gets the internal microphone working. The instructions are
Manual install:
Step 1. unzip source code
tar xfvj alsa-driver-1.0.xx.tar.bz2

Step 2. Turn on sound support (soundcore module, default turn on)

Step 3. Complied source code
a. cd alsa-driver-1.0.xx
b. ./configure
c. make
d. make install
e. ./snddevices

Step 4. Edit your /etc/modules.conf or conf.modules depending on the distribution
(Please refer to the attached modules.conf)

snd-xxxx is the card ID.

I encountered a problem at ./configure with alsa-driver-1.0.14-4.06a. The message in the Terminal is:
The file /lib/modules/2.6.33.6-147.2.4.fc13.i686.PAE/source/include/linux/version.h does not exist.
Please install the package with full kernel sources for your distribution
or use --with-kernel=dir option to specify another directory with kernel
sources (default is /lib/modules/2.6.33.6-147.2.4.fc13.i686.PAE/source).

When I have searched for 2.6.33.6-147.2.4.fc13 in the Add/Remove Software, lots of choices appear but none are prefixed with Alsa or Realtek. I'm not sure which one if any to use. Can anyone help me with this driver installation and tell me where to find the correct 2.6.33.6-147.2.4.fc13.i686.PAE?

Tags
5103wlmi, acer, aspire, internal, microphone, problem, webcam, working