Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th August 2010, 10:06 AM
bouldermanhk Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
No Wireless Networks Appearing on Netbook

I am just trying Fedora from a USB flash drive on my Toshiba Portege t110 netbook.
But it does not seem to detect any wireless networks (although I definitely have a few available -- when I boot up with Win7 it can detect them without issues).

I don't know if something is wrong or there are some special steps I need to do to get wireless networks working in Fedora... sorry I am newbie.

Any ideas?
Old 28th August 2010, 11:13 AM
smr54 Offline

linuxopera
Re: No Wireless Networks Appearing on Netbook

You can start with the command

lspci

The last few lines should list any wireless cards detected by the system. See if it lists a wireless card. If so, post it--it's usually the 3rd or 4th listing from the end. Let us know what it is.

If it doesn't show a wireless card, while in Windows, go to Device Manager, which should list the card manufacturer. Post that. Once people know the make of the wireless card, hopefully, someone will be able to give more assistance.
Old 28th August 2010, 12:49 PM
bouldermanhk Offline

windows_xp_2003ie

Thanks. I did lspci and it shows the following:

08:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co. Ltd. RTL8187SE Wireless LAN Controller (rev 22)

By the way, I am just running from the flash drive. I have not installed Fedora on to my hard drive yet (waiting to make sure everything seems to work first). I guess wireless networking should still be available when running in this manner right? Everything else seems to work (using a cable works).
Old 28th August 2010, 02:33 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxopera

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=245906

Post number 8 by Stoat gives pretty clear instructions--even though you're using the live CD I *think* you can still perform the steps (but that's untested by me).

Apparently, that particular card is one of the hard ones.

There is also a vendor driver, and apparently some systems might have a driver for it. You can google for something like linux RT8187SE and see if you have luck--I'd use the advanced feature and limit your results to the past year. A quick google doing that indicates it might be possible to use a native Linux driver, but I'm not sure.

Tags
appearing, netbook, networks, wireless