Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream The place for you to submit reviews of all those applications you use with Fedora. The Devs probably aren't listening, but some times you've just GOT to blow off steam or sing its praises.

Old 8th September 2010, 10:41 AM
Silpheed2K Offline

windows_7firefox
Fedora wont install for me...

It's horrible... especially since I feel so at home in this community...
for some reason grub just wont work for me... I even resorted to trying a proprietary bootloader and that didn't work out so far.
honestly I dedicated half of my hard drive to windows and the other half to GNU/Linux.
This is... well... not good... apparently I'm leaning towards the fact that it's a bug with grub that's been stomped out in grub2. I tried to install lilo but that didn't even work cause there's no yum in my fedora partition...
so... I guess I'll just vent a little here and find something I can do with my little computer..
Old 8th September 2010, 11:40 AM
sonoran Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Fedora wont install for me...

I'm sure grub has bugs, the documentation might qualify, but I don't think I've ever seen any insurmountable problems with it. There always seems to be a way to get it to do what you need. What is the issue, exactly? Or, even approximately.
Old 8th September 2010, 12:39 PM
Silpheed2K Offline

windows_7firefox

grub wont finish installation at all.. I've tried many manual console commands and installation methods but none of them work. I even tried messing around with the partitions and creating them with different specs. It just wont stop saying "/boot/grub/stage1 not read correctly."
Old 9th September 2010, 11:02 AM
Silpheed2K Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

LETS GET READY TO RUMBLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEE!!!!!!

but seriously now though... should I stick with 32bit or use 64bit?

Last edited by Silpheed2K; 9th September 2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10th September 2010, 01:15 AM
sonoran Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Start a thread in the Installation forum, post your hardware specs, your grub.conf file, and the output of fdisk -l, and the grub error message, and maybe someone will spot something. The more eyes looking at the problem, the better chance for a solution.

Grub2 is available in the fedora repos. I haven't tried it, but maybe if you selected it during installation, it would work.

Can you boot a LiveCD? That would be a way to install grub2. Or, the Super Grub Disk:
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

Definitely 64 bit.
Old 10th September 2010, 01:27 AM
Silpheed2K Offline

windows_7firefox

If you didn't pick up on my last post.. I fixed it and got it too install. I like the results.
Old 10th September 2010, 01:33 AM
sonoran Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silpheed2K View Post
If you didn't pick up on my last post.. I fixed it and got it too install. I like the results.
Good work! There's always a way.

Quote:
LETS GET READY TO RUMBLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEE!!!!!!
That was just too subtle for me.