Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd September 2010, 04:07 PM
miles Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
yum broke my system - kernel panic

a yum update got interrupted - I cleaned it up, reran yum update - everything appeared okay but now system won't boot

kenel panic - not syncing VFS :unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

any hope to repair this or must I reinstall linux ?
Old 23rd September 2010, 05:43 PM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: yum broke my system - kernel panic

Was there a kernel update included? Is the bootloader now looking at the wrong partition? If you can boot an older kernel then do so and compare old and new menu entries.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Just a couple of old single core units
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB SATA 3.0 / 1TB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 23rd September 2010, 06:20 PM
miles Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennzo View Post
Was there a kernel update included? Is the bootloader now looking at the wrong partition? If you can boot an older kernel then do so and compare old and new menu entries.
thks for suggestion - yes it included a kernel update - we tried to restore with live CD - no go. Now I have to get work done so can no longer mess around with Fedora.

this is the final straw with Yum - too bad, we really like Fedora and the RH open philosophy but Yum sucks so so badly that this is the final time we will use Fedora, Red Hat or CentOS (we have already switched our production servers to Ubuntu). I've pl;eaded about yum before - know others who won't use Fedora because of yum but it all seems to fall on deaf ears from the Fedora team.

It's really too bad that NIH applies here to the far superior apt-get. We can no longer afford the:
1) slow way it updates the update db
2) crappy slow mirrors
3) poor way, if any, to terminate a update (simple cntrl C doesn't do it - supposed to work with double cntrl C but often doesn't
4) now the way it has broken a system during an interrupted update is just untenable -

So until RH and Fedora someday wakes up and dumps or massively fixes yum, we'll be totally over on Ubuntu. We have no other business choice. RIP Fedora
Old 23rd September 2010, 08:01 PM
sidebrnz Online

linuxfedorafirefox

I'm sorry, of course, that you're having trouble, but I seriously doubt that yum itself is the issue. After all, there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people using it every day without trouble. You might consider, among other things, installing the yum plugins fastestmirror and presto to speed things up.
Registered Linux user #470359 and permanently recovered BOFH.

Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.
Old 23rd September 2010, 08:49 PM
kyryder

linuxfirefox

Hello,

If in the future you find yourself in the same situation don't "clean everything up" after a interruption. Instead run "yum-complete-transaction" to finish the transaction without issue.

Hope this helps,
Ky

Tags
broke, kernel, panic, yum