Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th September 2010, 03:13 PM
Punkiee Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Samba: mapping windows users on unix users

Samba up and running on my pc. pc runs FC12 with kde. A laptop has win vista. The pc can access the shares on the laptop but the laptop has authentication issues to access the pc. Note that windows doesnt enforce authentication forincoming network connections.
Using the system-config-samba util i tried to map a windows user to the unix user "feduser". The laptop (named LAPPY) has a user (lapuser) which has on windows no password.
What should I tell samba config what the windows username should be? lapuser or LAPPY\lapuser doesnt work because when accessing the pc via the laptop, the authentication fails. The only auth that is successful is when choosing the same winusername as the unix username.

Secondary, id like to setup the laptop so that the user doesnt have to provide a name and password, or at least not more then once in the lifetime of the laptop. Note that you cant provide an empty password to system-config-samba. How is that possible?

Strange but not really on issue imho:
the samba - KDE control module(kcmshall4) (and the smb.conf) shows 2 shares: the homedirs and the data dir
the samba server configurator (system-config-samba) shows only the datadir.

smb.conf

Code:
workgroup = workgroup
server string = Samba Server Version %v
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 50

security = user

cups options = raw
restrict anonymous = no
domain master = no
netbios name = BURROSKY
logon home = \\%25N\%25U
logon path = \\%25N\%25U\profile

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = no
read only = no

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
browseable = no
printable = yes

[data]
path = /media/data
read only = no
guest ok = yes

Last edited by Punkiee; 29th September 2010 at 03:27 PM. Reason: added smb.conf
Old 29th September 2010, 06:57 PM
Keldorn Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Samba: mapping windows users on unix users

I can't uderstand what you want to do:
You want just to map guest user (every gest user, not just from windows PCs) to one certain user called "feduser".
Or may be you want to access to share with login and password?
Old 29th September 2010, 10:28 PM
Punkiee Offline

windows_7firefox

Id like to give everyone on the LAN access to the linux share, with the least hassle. Because the windows users are illiterate it has to be as easy as possible for them to access the share, that is, with just one click on an icon.

Ideal would be if there was no authentication required on the linuxpc. Is that possible?
Because i know what users are on the network, maybe it is possible to map them on a linux user? That way the windows user doesnt have to provide a password, because the authentication of the user was already done on the windows machine. Or does linux requires password protected auth nonetheless?
Old 30th September 2010, 12:58 PM
Punkiee Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Using the guest login, i was able to access the samba share, even without password. On the windowsmachines i had to enter guest as username when asking to auth upon accessing the sharelist. Something which i didnt want but vista seems to remember these things and upon restarting it asked no more for authentication.
so problem solved

Tags
authentication, samba, windows