Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th September 2010, 06:28 PM
cadillackid Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Custom Kernel - Cant Customize! FC-11

Ok I have a test box set up running FC-11.. it is Pentium - D box running with with the i586 Kernel flavour on it...

I am using FC-11 as im trying to build a kernel as this will need to run on a Geode LX-800 processor (i586 class) as opposed to an i686 class processor...

my intent is to slim the kernel down a bit for running on the embedded platform.

I have read several different guides online and have tried to use / mix and match to get where i want but am missing a piece somewhere...

the main issue is that any custom changes I make to the config file are overwritten and ignored, and I can see where this happens.. trying to figure out if I just have a command wrong?

here is what im doing:

1] put kernel-2.6.30.10-105.2.23.fc11.src.rpm into /usr/src
2] run rpmdev-setuptree
my tree is made normal and good

3] rpm -Uvh kernel*.src.rpm
my kernel sources are installed into my tree normally

4] next I descend into my BUILD/kernel*/linux* directory

5] open the Makefile and edit in my desired extraversion and save

6] cp configs/linux-2.6.30.10-i586.config .config
copies a default config file into me

7] make oldconfig
exits normally

8] make menuconfig
opens and I make changes as desired to my kernel and save

9] edit my .config and put # i586 as my top line and save

10] cp my .config to ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES/config-i586

11] cd to ~/rpmbuild/SPECS
12] rpmbuild -bb --with baseonly --without debuginfo --target=i586 kernel.spec

my build commences and completes normally..
HOWEVER NONE of my custom changes are saved, my extraversion is gone, my config is default...

the wierd thing is I can see why and how it is broken...

it looks like in the prep stage, which is re-run when doing the -bb option that the Makefile and configuration is overwritten purposefully..

so my question is what is the best way to get my configs to "stick"? it almost looks like im going to have to make my config changes, and then apply that configuration file and Makefile into the tarball that is extracted during the %prep phase of the rpmbuild...

any ideas???

-Christopher
Old 1st October 2010, 01:51 AM
cadillackid Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Re: Custom Kernel - Cant Customize! FC-11

Ok, i installed a "hack" which seems to rectify the problem...

after i do nmy first rpmbuild that runs the prep stage, I go in and make menuconfig to make all the changes to the kernel config that i want... after i exit.. I copy my .config file to /home/cirrus/goodconfig.txt

right before the %build section of my kernel.spec i added 3 copy lines, which will copy the config from my /home/cirrus directory to 3 places in the build tree... first it goes to /home/cirrus/rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel-2.6.30/linux-2.6.30.i586/.config

I also put it in the configs directory named as kernel-2.6.30.i586.config and in the sources directory too,

these 3 copy lines get put in right beforethe %build section...

this then maskes sure that even though prep is run again in your full rpmbuild that the configs are copied to the appropriate place after prep has replaced it with defaults..

my changes stick this way and all is good!!

im not sure why they made it this way, seems wierd... seems they should have some if exist, commands in the prep to skip over things if prep already executed in the past...

the only other weay to do this would be to put your config directly into the kernel tarball... but this is easier when trying options and rolling your own spin...

others may do it differently.. but this works for me...

-Christopher

Tags
custom, customize, fc11, kernel