Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd October 2010, 12:47 PM
thomthom Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
Fedora GUI

Fedora needs a GUI overhaul something fierce. Mainly the "Indicator Applet, Indicator Applet Session and Notification Area" needs to be like Ubuntu 10.04 or 10.10 and I would like to see the default theme as Elementary. Also, more flexibility to install themes. The themes that I like I can install but they don't look as intended because of the theme engines.

Just some food for thought!!!
Old 2nd October 2010, 04:13 PM
CSchwangler Offline

linuxsafari
Re: Fedora GUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomthom View Post
Fedora needs a GUI overhaul something fierce. Mainly the "Indicator Applet, Indicator Applet Session and Notification Area" needs to be like Ubuntu 10.04 or 10.10 and I would like to see the default theme as Elementary. Also, more flexibility to install themes. The themes that I like I can install but they don't look as intended because of the theme engines.

Just some food for thought!!!
As always, you can install any other theme or theme engine you like in Fedora and therefore you can make it look as you want. Honestly, I don't see a need for a GUI overhaul.

Not that I want to sound harsh but if you like the look of Ubuntu so much, why don't you stick with it?
Old 2nd October 2010, 04:23 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox

Guys, while this is a discussion section for F14, it's not normally monitored by the devs. If you want to make changes, suggestions, improvements and Ubuntu-ize the planet, just click on the FedoraProject links above and select your method of giving the devs your ideas.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 2nd October 2010, 05:46 PM
CSchwangler Offline

linuxsafari

Sorry bob, didn't wanted to make you angry but couldn't resist to post.
Old 2nd October 2010, 07:18 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox

Oh please believe me that I'm not angry. It's just a fact that devs don't check here for comments and/or ideas.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 3rd October 2010, 08:43 AM
CSchwangler Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Yes, I know that the devs are not looking at the forum. Just wanted to oppose the idea of making everything look like Ubuntu.
Old 3rd October 2010, 01:04 PM
thomthom Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSchwangler View Post
As always, you can install any other theme or theme engine you like in Fedora and therefore you can make it look as you want. Honestly, I don't see a need for a GUI overhaul.

Not that I want to sound harsh but if you like the look of Ubuntu so much, why don't you stick with it?
I have installed the latest theme engines from git on previous Fedora 13 install but the results were less than pleasing. The "Controls" would default to the generic gnome theme while window borders would be would be of the theme I want to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSchwangler View Post
Yes, I know that the devs are not looking at the forum. Just wanted to oppose the idea of making everything look like Ubuntu.
I would prefer to use Fedora but I am fickle when it comes to appearance. And I am just talking about one area, well, two areas the first of which is the "Indicator Applet, Indicator Applet Session and Notification Area" and the second are the themes that use the latest theme engines.

Last edited by thomthom; 3rd October 2010 at 01:18 PM.

Tags
desktop, fedora 14, gui, themes, ubuntu