Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th October 2010, 03:15 AM
james2b Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Question nouveau nvidia display how to enable it

I just installed Fedora 13 from live CD, and all updated too, have a nvidia Geforce 7300 GS video card in this 2006 Gateway AMD desktop multi-booting with some Linux and XP, and the desktop effects says it can not enable that due to 3D acceleration not available. So I did go in the package manager to check for this nouveau nvidia display driver, which shows as it is installed, but how do I fully enable it ? Does Fedora 13 use the grub 2 or old legacy grub 1?
Old 16th October 2010, 04:22 AM
ozjd Offline

linuxchrome
Re: nouveau nvidia display how to enable it

Nouveau doesn't provide 3d. For 3d you need to install the proprietary Nvidia drivers, see the link to Leigh's thread in my signature or the mesa drivers. To do that type as root

yum install mesa-dri-drivers-experimental

Last edited by ozjd; 16th October 2010 at 04:22 AM. Reason: typo
Old 16th October 2010, 08:21 PM
james2b Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Smile Re: nouveau nvidia display how to enable it

With the included nouveau nvidia driver, is that good enough display for standard every day type computer use, and no games. Also can I just search for, find, and install the propriety NVIDIA display driver with the package manager. ?
Old 16th October 2010, 10:59 PM
tox

windows_7firefox

http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/

Quote:
KernelModeSetting (KMS) is mandatory
Suspend and resume is working for many chips

2D support is in fairly good shape with EXA acceleration, Xv and Randr12 (dual-head, rotations, etc.).

Any 3D functionality that might exist is still unsupported. Do not ask for instructions to try it. But you can read GalliumHowto in case you are brave enough.
Old 17th October 2010, 03:34 AM
ozjd Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by james2b View Post
With the included nouveau nvidia driver, is that good enough display for standard every day type computer use, and no games. Also can I just search for, find, and install the propriety NVIDIA display driver with the package manager. ?
As Dexta pointed out the nouveau driver is fine for everyday use if you don't need 3d. You do need 3d for desktop effects and things like Google Earth.

No you can't just install the drivers with the package manager. You need to follow all the steps in the guide. Miss any and it won't work and you probably won't have a graphical desktop. It isn't difficult, Leigh has refined it over many versions.

There may be another option for installing drivers. Search for Autoten. It will automatically install many things and complete all the need steps, I understand. Haven't tried it but many others recommend it.

Last edited by ozjd; 17th October 2010 at 03:36 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 17th October 2010, 05:00 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Autoten doesn't do the video drivers.. It does do great on the audio and video codecs, though

Another plus is that after you run autoten for the audio/video codecs, you will have the rpmfusion repos installed which is the first step in installing the nvidia drivers.

And ozjd gave you the best advice on installing the nvidia drivers if you decide that you want to install them. Leigh's guide is the best out there. follow it, and you will have them installed and running in no time.

Tags
display, enable, nouveau, nvidia