Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th October 2010, 12:47 AM
Mister B Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Fedora 14 RC1 available for testing

I was able to test it again.

I'm using the x64 LiveCD. When I select Custom partitioning it lists my drives. I choose my third NTFS partiition and hit edit and get the crash. It says "An unhandled exception has occurred. This is most likely a bug.. PLease save a copy of the detailed exception and file a bug report."

Here's a link to the output:

http://pastebin.com/rwe1UP1v
Old 28th October 2010, 01:51 AM
Pumpino Offline

windows_7ie

That's what I get although from memory, I don't even get to click on edit; it crashes as soon as I single-click on an NTFS partition.

Adam, can you replicate this bug and are there plans to fix it? I've gotten around it by manually entering entries to /etc/fstab after the installation, but new users may need to resize their Windows NTFS partition prior to installing, and this bug would prevent them from doing this.
Old 28th October 2010, 01:52 AM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfedorafirefox

ah, I thought you were saying the printing problems and freezes were different bugs. I don't print PDFs very often, though I have done it and not seen any trouble.
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 28th October 2010, 01:54 AM
AdamW Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

OK, I can recreate the NTFS issue by clicking on an NTFS partition in the partition editing dialog, yeah. (This may be a consequence of the fix for the NTFS upgrade issue, actually). I'll report a bug and post the link here.

This shouldn't entirely stop you from resizing an NTFS partition, as you can actually do that from the *previous* screen. If someone could test that it'd be good (I know it doesn't work for me, but my test NTFS partition is a 1GB partition with nothing on it, which is a long way from the real world).
Old 28th October 2010, 01:59 AM
Pumpino Offline

windows_7ie

Thanks for confirming the bug. And sorry, I missed your posts at the bottom of the previous page - you'd actually responded to my previous posts.

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM GMT ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM GMT ----------

Re. the Acrobat issue and disabling SELinux. I installed the policyutils-gui package as I always do, since it's not included on the live CD. Has the SELinux management interface been changed? I can't see a simple way of disabling it as in previous Fedora releases.
Old 28th October 2010, 02:04 AM
AdamW Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

well, this sucks: looks like the bug was reported and fixed -

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=627153

but it came after anaconda was frozen for F14 and the issue was never flagged as a possible blocker or NTH issue for F14 to have the fix pulled into the F14 branch. We'll have to document it.
Old 28th October 2010, 02:15 AM
Mister B Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
OK, I can recreate the NTFS issue by clicking on an NTFS partition in the partition editing dialog, yeah. (This may be a consequence of the fix for the NTFS upgrade issue, actually). I'll report a bug and post the link here.

This shouldn't entirely stop you from resizing an NTFS partition, as you can actually do that from the *previous* screen. If someone could test that it'd be good (I know it doesn't work for me, but my test NTFS partition is a 1GB partition with nothing on it, which is a long way from the real world).
I was able to shrink the NTFS partition from the previous screen using the Shrink option. My install proceeded fine from there. Edit Ext4 and LVM partitions was OK as well.

Last edited by Mister B; 28th October 2010 at 02:19 AM.
Old 28th October 2010, 03:03 AM
Pumpino Offline

windows_7ie

Quote:
but it came after anaconda was frozen for F14 and the issue was never flagged as a possible blocker
Yes, it's hard to believe that it was reported over two months ago and not incorporated into F14 at any stage through the betas and RCs. No point identifying and reporting significant bugs if they're not resolved for upcoming releases. Bummer!
Old 28th October 2010, 07:19 AM
bcc Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
I can reproduce this by running gedit after 'su', but (unlike Pumpino), I can't reproduce it when running gedit after 'su -'. 'su' , 'gedit' hits this bug, for me, but 'su -', 'gedit' causes gedit to run fine as root, with no errors on the console.
Yes, that would be because your second test doesn't inherit the DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS environment variable mentioned previously, whereas your first test does.

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM GMT ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM GMT ----------

Quote:
And no, there won't be any new ISOs. RC1 was declared gold yesterday. None of the issues raised here would have blocked the release if raised earlier, with the possible exception of Pumpino's NTFS issue if it affects all NTFS partitions (though I doubt that's the case).
Hopefully that is not to imply that issues raised here that don't happen to be release blockers are being ignored.
Old 28th October 2010, 07:30 AM
smr54 Online

linuxopera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpino View Post
Yes, it's hard to believe that it was reported over two months ago and not incorporated into F14 at any stage through the betas and RCs. No point identifying and reporting significant bugs if they're not resolved for upcoming releases. Bummer!
Don't stop reporting bugs. Yes, sometimes, important ones get overlooked, or, more frustrating, aren't considered important by whoever is responsible for it. On the other hand, a heck of a lot of them get fixed, and Fedora's made some real effort on this, with volunteers triaging bugs.

So even though this important one got overlooked, that becomes less and less common (especially for something like this, which I think can generally be considered pretty important.)
Old 28th October 2010, 11:52 AM
Pumpino Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Adam, I've tried PreUpgrade again on the machine with NTFS that failed a few days ago. It displayed Anaconda's version as 14.22 this time.

This time, it didn't hang at the "finding storage devices" page. What it did do was spit out the following:

"Error enabling swap device UUID...device has not been created. The /etc/fstab on your upgrade partition does not reference a valid swap space. Press ok to exit installer".

I booted back into F13 and changed UUID to /dev/sda5 in /etc/fstab, rebooted, and the upgrade progressed successfully.
Old 29th October 2010, 01:02 AM
MorphingDragon Offline

macossafari

Adobe Reader won't launch, SELinux blocks it and I can't figure out how to unblock it using the SELinux tools.

:/

Apart from that it works fine, on my Laptop and in VMWare.

Last edited by MorphingDragon; 29th October 2010 at 01:14 AM.
Old 29th October 2010, 01:29 AM
Pumpino Offline

windows_7ie

Yes, as I posted previously, after installing policyutils-gui on a CD-based installation, I'm unable to work out how to disable SELinux, as the interface seems to have changed. Can someone advise how to disable SELinux in F14? Thanks.
Old 29th October 2010, 03:49 AM
Hansvon Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpino View Post
Yes, as I posted previously, after installing policyutils-gui on a CD-based installation, I'm unable to work out how to disable SELinux, as the interface seems to have changed. Can someone advise how to disable SELinux in F14? Thanks.
Set SELINUX=disabled in /etc/selinux/config and reboot
Old 29th October 2010, 04:06 AM
Wayne Online

linuxubuntufirefox

Drat and double drat..... Thought I'd take the KDE RC for a spin but haven't got any blank CDs! Will have to install Virtualbox and wanted to avoid it! Can't get any CDs till Sunday...

Tags
fedora, rc1, testing