Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th October 2010, 05:59 AM
rangan Offline

linuxopera
Hibernate Desktop when inactive for 30 minutes

Is there any option to hibernate desktop computer (on AC power) automatically after staying idol for say.. 30 minutes?
In System>Preferences>Power Management there is a option to Put computer to sleep when inactive for ... minutes. But no option to automatic hibernate.

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM GMT ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 AM GMT ----------

no one to answer!
Old 30th October 2010, 08:15 AM
biosphere Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Hibernate Desktop when inactive for 30 minutes

Hi Rangan,

Just had a look in the Gnome configuration editor and there does appear to be a setting which allows you to change the action type from sleep to hibernate. I've not changed this setting myself but if you want to give it a whirl; open up the Configuration Editor from the system tools menu (if you do not have this installed the package is called gconf-editor within Add/Remote Software), navigate through the tree; / > Apps > Gnome-power-manager > Actions and find the sleep_type_ac property. Change it's entry from suspend to hibernate. As I said I've not changed this myself however in the properties description it does have hibernate listed as a valid value so it should hopefully do what you want it to do.

In Power management you'll need to select your sleep time out from the list still. Despite the wording, hopefully when your computer hits that time out your machine should hibernate instead of suspend. If it doesn't, I'd change the value back from hibernate to suspend just so you still have the sleep functionality if ever you need it in the future.

Last edited by biosphere; 30th October 2010 at 08:27 AM.
Old 30th October 2010, 09:57 AM
rangan Offline

linuxopera
Re: Hibernate Desktop when inactive for 30 minutes

thanks. its working now.

Tags
desktop, hibernate, inactive, minutes