Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th November 2010, 09:12 PM
Fab35 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Unhappy Upgrade from FC13 to FC14: Uncorrectly unmounted partition /dev/sde

Hello all

I upgraded my system (or try to upgrade) from FC13 to FC14 with PreUpgrade.
Once I reboot, I select 'Mise à niveau' (Upgrade) in GRUB menu.

I can see that Anaconda has run and the graphical installation is launched.
When detecting the hardware (1st step), installation fails because it thinks that my file system is incorrectly unmounted and displaying the partitiion name /dev/sde
it asked me to reboot the system and let it check the file system. But nothing better after that

The problem is that I have no media on this device (it mays be my multiple card reader but no card inserted).and no USB device at all.

I only have 2 HDD (/dev/sda1 for my primary with Linux partition and a second one /dev/sda2 for my NTFS backup partition).

I checked in /dev/ root:
[root@XXXX /dev]# ls sde*
sde

And of course, mount command shows nothing about this device.

So I do not understand what is wrong :-(
Please, someone could help me where to look for ?

Thanks
Fab
Old 15th November 2010, 09:37 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

windows_xp_2003firefox
Re: Upgrade from FC13 to FC14: Uncorrectly unmounted partition /dev/sde

Not sure exactly what you're getting at. When you see a boot menu select 'Mise à niveau' with the arrow key but don't press enter. See if you can press 'e' and look at the boot code. Maybe it's pointing to the wrong partition all together.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 16th November 2010, 05:49 PM
Fab35 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Upgrade from FC13 to FC14: Uncorrectly unmounted partition /dev/sde3

Hi glennzo

Thanks for your answer.
Unfortunately, there is nothing in the command line about this ./dev/sde3 partition.
Here is the command line (taken from /boot/grub/menu.lst) regarding the menu choice:
title Mise à niveau vers Fedora 14 (Laughlin)
kernel /upgrade/vmlinuz preupgrade repo=hd::/var/cache/yum/preupgrade ks=hd:UUID=404bb625-c27c-464c-af03-42c5dc5eb81e:/upgrade/ks.cfg stage2=hd:UUID=404bb625-c27c-464c-af03-42c5dc5eb81e:/upgrade/install.img

(I'm a French user, it is why it's noted 'Mise à niveau vers Fedora 14'.)

Is there something to find the log of the fail upgrade or see the various cheks done during upgrade ?
How could I simulate a 'false' fsck on a device that I do not own, so that everything could be Ok when upgrade checks it ?

I'm a bit stuck in this part or Linux system
Thanks for your help, anyway.

Tags
device, preupgrade fail, upgrade