Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th November 2010, 08:40 PM
korpenkraxar Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Is anyone running Gnome 3 and Gnome Shell in rawhide?

Hi all!

There is a new version of Gnome Shell available in rawhide which I would like to try out. However, it pulls in much of Gnome 3 and a very recent version of xulrunner+Firefox.

What is state of these libraries in rawhide? Completely broken or pseudo-stable enough for usage if one can put up with occasional crashes?

Last edited by korpenkraxar; 30th November 2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 2nd December 2010, 12:19 AM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfirefox
Re: Is anyone running Gnome 3 and Gnome Shell in rawhide

if you're asking if you should install this on top of f14, no, by all accounts, no. it'll break stuff badly.

if you're asking if you run a complete current rawhide, do things more or less work, the answer is yes, with a few quibbles. I'm running it now, including Shell. it works.
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 2nd December 2010, 12:31 AM
tox

windows_7firefox
Re: Is anyone running Gnome 3 and Gnome Shell in rawhide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by korpenkraxar View Post
Hi all!

There is a new version of Gnome Shell available in rawhide which I would like to try out. However, it pulls in much of Gnome 3 and a very recent version of xulrunner+Firefox.

What is state of these libraries in rawhide? Completely broken or pseudo-stable enough for usage if one can put up with occasional crashes?
your best way is to Create a another Partition 10Gigs and install F15 ( RawHide ) on that, that way you'll have the stable Release aswell as Rawhide to boot into
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:34 AM
korpenkraxar Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

@AdamW & @detox:

So it seems Rawhide is in a fairly ok shape this early on in the release cycle. Yeah, I look at having a separate partition for F15 and determined whether the I should use the same /home and user account among them (which would be easier if Linux had a more straightforward way of bundling .configs into profiles). Thanks for your feedback.
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:48 AM
tox

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by korpenkraxar View Post
@AdamW & @detox:

So it seems Rawhide is in a fairly ok shape this early on in the release cycle. Yeah, I look at having a separate partition for F15 and determined whether the I should use the same /home and user account among them (which would be easier if Linux had a more straightforward way of bundling .configs into profiles). Thanks for your feedback.
i would use a New Fresh /home , dont share.. its like installing Firefox3 and then installing Firefox4. you should never share profiles.
Old 7th December 2010, 03:37 AM
AdamW Offline

linuxfirefox

yeah, I wouldn't share a /home between GNOME 2 and GNOME 3. No specific data, but I'm fairly sure it could get odd. The problems usually come when you use data from the *later* desktop on the *earlier* one; the developers will usually make sure your config from the older software will migrate properly to the newer, but they won't make sure you can use the newer config data with the older release.

For me right now F15 is at decent Alpha quality. There's buglets around the place, but I can run the major stuff and do my work. Firefox crashes every time you download a file (so use wget), Evo had some text rendering issues which seem to have gone away now, gnome-terminal crashes mysteriously after half an hour of any session and Terminal leaks memory like crazy so I'm using lxterminal instead...that kinda thing.
Old 7th December 2010, 10:25 AM
hellnest Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
yeah, I wouldn't share a /home between GNOME 2 and GNOME 3. No specific data, but I'm fairly sure it could get odd. The problems usually come when you use data from the *later* desktop on the *earlier* one; the developers will usually make sure your config from the older software will migrate properly to the newer, but they won't make sure you can use the newer config data with the older release.

For me right now F15 is at decent Alpha quality. There's buglets around the place, but I can run the major stuff and do my work. Firefox crashes every time you download a file (so use wget), Evo had some text rendering issues which seem to have gone away now, gnome-terminal crashes mysteriously after half an hour of any session and Terminal leaks memory like crazy so I'm using lxterminal instead...that kinda thing.
It's a gnome related issue or it's a F15 / Kernel issue? I'm downloading rawhide right now . Do i need a 3D acclerated Card to run Gnome 3 / Shell ?
Old 7th December 2010, 05:36 PM
Igby Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellnest View Post
It's a gnome related issue or it's a F15 / Kernel issue? I'm downloading rawhide right now . Do i need a 3D acclerated Card to run Gnome 3 / Shell ?
Short question, short answer: Yes!

Igby
Old 7th December 2010, 05:39 PM
hellnest Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igby View Post
Short question, short answer: Yes!

Igby
Yes for which question? I had three question in a row
Old 7th December 2010, 10:45 PM
AdamW Offline

linuxfirefox

well, there's different issues. I don't know exactly what you're asking is a GNOME or f15/kernel (what?) issue. Yes, you do need a card with 3D support.
Old 8th December 2010, 05:58 AM
hellnest Offline

linuxubuntuchrome

Well it's confirmed and breaking my system... @)@ the x server try to load a module which is not supported by my card. Not 3D ready only 2D acceleration. Well i guess i must put my hope down to run rawhide / F15 in future
Old 9th December 2010, 08:22 PM
simpleblue Offline

linuxchrome

I've just downloaded the Fedora Nightly Compose. How would I enable Gnome 3 on it?

Thanks
Old 9th December 2010, 09:24 PM
hellnest Offline

linuxfirefox

I Guess it's enabled by default. Or maybe you must invoke the command from command shell
Old 9th December 2010, 09:34 PM
AdamW Offline

linuxfirefox

yeah, it should be enabled by default, but if not, try installing desktop-effects (if it's not there already) and select GNOME Shell from that.
Old 9th December 2010, 09:53 PM
tox

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleblue View Post
I've just downloaded the Fedora Nightly Compose. How would I enable Gnome 3 on it?

Thanks
if you need or want the opensource 3D drivers just login to terminal an do a

Code:
yum list mesa*
and choose to install the Experimental driver

---------- Post added at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------

then you can launch the Gnome-shell from Desktop-effects

Tags
gnome, rawhide, running, shell