Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora and it's software that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 3rd December 2010, 03:49 PM
cinsevarg Offline

linuxfirefox
GRUB :: menu.lst :: GRUB starts in command line

Code:
grub-install -v
grub-install (GNU GRUB 0.97)
I loaded GRUB, and now when I reboot it goes straight into the 'grub>' command line.

Initially GRUB had the root as (hd0,2), whereas the boot is on (hd0,1)...(hd0,2) is my '/home' partition, and (hd0,1) is my '/' partition...
So on a bootup I ran...

Code:
root (hd0,1)
setup (hd0)
Now when I boot I still get the 'grub>' command line, but now the root is correct.

From 'grub>' I can type...
Code:
grub> configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst
GRUB will then show the menu, and I can click the listings to load them. All's fine, but why doesn't GRUB just load the menu.lst without my prompting?
How can I automate this process of typing 'configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst' each time I boot?

Last edited by cinsevarg; 3rd December 2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 3rd December 2010, 04:13 PM
scott32746 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Re: GRUB :: menu.lst :: GRUB starts in command line

Hello,

You can check what grub should use with

grub > find /grub/stage1

then run root and setup
Old 3rd December 2010, 05:44 PM
stoat Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

If it still doesn't work after that, then try booting on into Fedora with configfile again. Then open a terminal and re-install GRUB using the grub-install command.
Code:
su
grub-install /dev/sda
Old 3rd December 2010, 06:50 PM
cinsevarg Offline

linuxfirefox

Thanks scott32746, worked perfectly.

Seems silly, doesn't seem like I did anything... I just 'found' a file where I told it where it was?

What does the find() command actually do?

And how much customising can I do with this feature? Can I take all, or some, of the files out of the /boot/grub/ folder and place them anywhere? Like another partition, and simply have 'grub> find ' its way there?

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

NOTE :: As I was looking over your post again, I see that I did and didn't follow your instructions...

At the 'grub >' command I did use find, but I typed

Code:
grub > find /boot/grub/menu.lst
grub > root (hd0,1)
grub > setup (hd0)
grub > reboot
To get it working...
Old 3rd December 2010, 07:21 PM
stoat Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinsevarg

Seems silly, doesn't seem like I did anything... I just 'found' a file where I told it where it was?

What does the find() command actually do?
It finds a file. The result of the GRUB shell's find command is given as a drive and partition such as (hdx,y). It was suggested as a way to find a file known to be in the Fedora /boot/grub directory and thereby find its partition. Then you would have been able to try your GRUB shell commands again with the correct drive and partition numbers. You tried (hd0,1), and it failed to fix things. So the find command was suggested to settle the matter.

Quote:

As I was looking over your post again, I see that I did and didn't follow your instructions...
When there is not a separate boot partition, then include /boot in paths in GRUB shell commands. When there is a separate boot partition, then don't include /boot in the paths of GRUB shell commands. The same thing applies to menu commands in grub.conf. You have established that you do not have a separate boot partition for Fedora.

Quote:

At the 'grub >' command I did use find, but I typed
Code:
grub > find /boot/grub/menu.lst
grub > root (hd0,1)
grub > setup (hd0)
grub > reboot
It's the same thing you tried the first time. Who would've thought that should be tried again?

Tags
boot, grub, grub command, menu.lst