Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th December 2010, 09:58 AM
vwyodapink Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Bash question - Fedora 14 KDE runlevel related

I am trying to write a script I am on Fedora 14 KDE spin. What I want to be able to do is start a bash script in a normal desktop environment have it do something things then have it drop to runlevel. But not needing to log back in, such as with commands like "init 3, telinit 3, kdminit4_shutdown" require you to log in when the script is running then once you do the script is no longer running any more. So I need it to switch to runlevel 3 then install a driver then once thats done switch back to runlevel 5 again not having to worry about logging in and having the script continue running still and finish up from there. Everything I have tried not only kills the script but also make you have to log in on every switch.

Thanks for any help on this if you need to see the script I can post that part
Old 22nd December 2010, 09:25 AM
stevea Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Bash question - Fedora 14 KDE runlevel related

That is an odd requirement, so it leads me to ask questions. Why do you want to drop runlevels to install a driver .... is this a video driver ?

If you use" nohup" command you can allow the script to continue after your X session is terminated. That mean you can probably telinit 3; modprobe sondriver; telinit 5".

You cannot easily get the KDE session restarted without a login. You might use autologin if that is appropriate. You could "su someuser; startx ..." to create the X session.
Old 29th December 2010, 10:31 AM
vwyodapink Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Bash question - Fedora 14 KDE runlevel related

yes it is for a video driver. I am just trying to put the whole thing in a script for quick setup, I have everything working but the video driver. Thanks for the info though gives me something to play around with.

Tags
bash, init 3, kde, no login, runlevel