Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th December 2010, 04:55 AM
piopio Offline

windows_vistaie
F14 does not boot after installation.(problem after problem)

ok. where do i start??

LAPTOP:

HP Pavilion DV4-1120US
2.00 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5800 with 2MB L2 Cache
4096MB DDR2 System Memory, 250GB Hard Drive,

I was using originally Fedora 12 updated to F14 two weeks ago.
At first when installing F12 i had trouble with the wireless connection, and flash player. I managed to fix it, then updated to F14 (didn't use a livecd for update used online download from fedora website).
I used it everyday for a week, when suddenly sunday morning i turned on my laptop computer and it did its usual login process of the fedora logo was 85% and it stayed that way for about 20minutes. then i realized it frozed. i managed to get into a virtual terminal and i got this message.

wrong fs type, bad option, bad super block
last message: cant mount root filesystem boot has failed, sleeping forever.

Yes, i believed it crashed!

I don't have a back up for my previous system, since i didn't had anything important in it, i was experimenting with linux. yes, a beginners mistake.

So now, i made a live cd for f14 tried to installed it, and it won't boot! and when it does, i have no wireless connection no flash player, then i turn off my comp then it won't boot after.

I don't know what to do. Or whats going on.

Can anyone tell me what is going on with my laptop and what can i do to fix this?
Old 29th December 2010, 05:50 AM
Mariusz W Offline

linuxfedoragaleon
Re: F14 does not boot after installation.(problem after problem)

Pardon me for saying that but your account seems to be a little chaotic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piopio View Post
I was using originally Fedora 12 updated to F14 two weeks ago.
At first when installing F12 i had trouble with the wireless connection, and flash player.
When did you install Fedora 12? I suppose it was long ago, before Fedora 13 was released. How the problems you may have had with installation of Flash on F12 are at all related to installation of F14?

Quote:
I managed to fix it, then updated to F14 (didn't use a livecd for update used online download from fedora website).
What do you mean by 'updated to F14'? How did you do that? Did you reinstall the operating system? Other than that I can only think of 'pre-upgrade'. And for this to succeed you have to strictly follow the instructions, which basically means that you should be 'preupgrading from the immediately previous release -- in your case, Fedora 13.

It doesn't sound on the other hand that you would attempt upgrading F12 -> F14 using yum alone. That is not recommended, basically only for experts who are prepared and willing to deal with ensuing problems.

Quote:
(...) I used it everyday for a week, when suddenly sunday morning i turned on my laptop computer and it did its usual login process of the fedora logo was 85% and it stayed that way for about 20minutes. then i realized it frozed. i managed to get into a virtual terminal and i got this message.
Did you do any package updates in meantime. Just a few days ago a new kernel has been released to the Fedora updates repo. You may not have noticed that the new kernel had been installed on your computer.

In that case, my advice to you is to do the following: turn on the computer and when the grub loader screen appears select any of the previously installed kernels and see whether you can boot with it.

Quote:
wrong fs type, bad option, bad super block
last message: cant mount root filesystem boot has failed, sleeping forever.

Yes, i believed it crashed!
This is not what we usually call 'crashed', it is a failed boot.

Quote:
So now, i made a live cd for f14 tried to installed it, and it won't boot! and when it does, i have no wireless connection no flash player, then i turn off my comp then it won't boot after.
That you have no wireless is not surprising since the needed driver may not be on the live CD, and Flash can be installed after you enable additional repos: it is not on the Live CD.

I don't know what do you mean by 'it won't boot! and when it does', so does it boot sometimes, and sometimes does not? Did you verify the checksums for the CD you 'made'?
Old 30th December 2010, 10:41 PM
Kameraad Pjotr Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariusz W View Post
Did you do any package updates in meantime. Just a few days ago a new kernel has been released to the Fedora updates repo. You may not have noticed that the new kernel had been installed on your computer.

In that case, my advice to you is to do the following: turn on the computer and when the grub loader screen appears select any of the previously installed kernels and see whether you can boot with it.
I had this problem once, and it was due to a failed installation of the kernel. Reverting (selecting in the grub menu) to the previous version and then reinstalling the kernel should fix the problem.
Old 31st December 2010, 07:14 AM
Mariusz W Offline

linuxfedoragaleon

I don't know what do you mean by "failed installation of the kernel". Only in the old days of Fedora Core, or even earlier, I remember cases when yum might have failed. Apparently, lots of efforts went into making yum very robust. It checks and resolves all the dependencies *before* installing. Even a sudden power outage, or unexpected shutdown in the middle of installation probably cannot break yum today.

on the other hand, it is in the very nature of kernel development that a newly installed kernel may conflict with your hardware and BIOS. This is precisely the reason why Fedora maintains three most recently installed kernels. Probably every cutting edge distro is equally affected by issues that a new kernel may bring.
Old 31st December 2010, 09:06 AM
Kameraad Pjotr Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Nevertheless, it was due to a failed installation of the kernel, but I cannot remember the exact error message.

Tags
boot, f14, installationproblem, problem