Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora and it's software that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 29th December 2010, 09:23 PM
jeanpba Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
FC12,FC13,FC14 : The form don't give anymore the filename which already exist

Hello

From at leat FC12 to FC14, I notice that the form we have to fill in to write a filename (for example) don't give anymore the choice of the file which already exist in the current directory.

I explain :

Use gimp or gedit
Create a simple file : example.txt or example.jpg
and save this file
close this file

create now a new file
try to save it under the name: ex
and in FC9, the system added one line to propose you example.txt because example match with ex you just typed
in FC14, this proposal doesn't exist anymore.

How to setup it again ?

I am working with gnome but the problem is the same with kde

Thanks for your feedbacks or your help

cheers

Jean-Philippe
Old 29th December 2010, 09:55 PM
meine Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: FC12,FC13,FC14 : The form don't give anymore the filename which already exist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanpba View Post
the system added one line to propose you example.txt because example match with ex you just typed
the way you can save a file in a save dialog lets you free to choose a name and extension. in some programs the file type is provided being the logical one. when [All Files] is selected all files and types show up.

when you begin to type a name and press [Tab] the filename is completed with one existing in that directory, just like in the Terminal pressing [Tab] to complete the path or filename. then you can choose to overwrite or alter the name of the new file. this works even when a specific file type is selected in the Save dialog -- hidden existing files show up. the suggested name isn't shown while typing though.

if you choose one that already exists a dialog shows up to warn you for saving the file in stead of one existing. this prevents from overwriting.

I don't know about the background of this but it seems to me best conforming Linux standards in naming and saving files and the routines behind it...

Quote:
How to setup it again ?
start with a filename and press [Tab]
Old 3rd January 2011, 10:46 PM
jeanpba Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Re: FC12,FC13,FC14 : The form don't give anymore the filename which already exist

Hello Meine

Thanks for the quick answer
I didn't know the Key TAB behavior in save dialog boxes because in FC9 or previous fedora, it was done automatically.

Thanks

Jean-Philippe

Tags
anymore, exist, fc12, fc13, fc14, filename, form