Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th January 2011, 12:31 PM
mistergoodbytes Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Lightbulb BOINC in Fedora 14

True Linux geeks will be having heart attacks reading this, but this is how I got Boinc running and stable in Fedora 14 in one night in between watching a movie. I have been gamely trying to get Boinc for Linux to play well with others on and off for over a year with no luck. This method works with none of the serious permissions blockages and fiddling and failing Boinc for Linux has, AND this method includes a taskbar notification icon which updates Boinc processing progress in real time if you hover over it with the mouse as well as providing access to the more detailed Boinc Manager if you double click it. Here's what I did...

• If you have Boinc for Linux installed, uninstall it.
• Install Wine.
• Download the Boinc for Windows XP installer, install with Wine. Wine may give you an error at the end of the installer, but if the files and folders are created as expected, you should be good to go.
• When the Windows XP installer runs, you will want to select Advanced on the screen which allows you to change folder names. I called the folders e:\Program Files\BOINC\ and e:\Program Files\BOINC\boincdata\ respectively.
• Test your work after install by manually double clicking on boincmgr.exe -- if you can sign in and download and begin to process work units, you are fine. You will also see that Boinc Manager benchmarking tests messages identify your OS as Windows XP Service Pack 3.
• Use gedit to create a script file boincboot.sh which should contain the following (include the quotation marks):
cd "/home/yourhomefoldername/Program Files/BOINC/"
wine boincmgr.exe

• Save the script and change permissions to make it executable.
• Add the script to your list of programs to run at startup.
• Go finish your movie.
Old 9th January 2011, 02:08 PM
unixrobot Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: BOINC in Fedora 14

Ok, thank you for this wine guide but why do not run the native linux boinc client which you can download at:

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dl/boinc_6...c-linux-gnu.sh
chmod +x that file

and run in the BOINC directory run_manager & ??
Old 24th February 2011, 01:00 AM
VideoFlyer Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Smile Re: BOINC in Fedora 14

I agree with unixrobot. However, there is an even easier method, using yum. The Boinc website (http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Insta...OINC_on_Fedora) has the procedure, and it works for Fedora 14, as I just did it, and had it up in about 5 minutes.

Anything that runs under windows has so much overhead to worry about, it always runs slower. I haven't checked timing using Wine, but my two systems are almost identical, and the Fedora box runs almost twice as many project units as the windows box.

Last edited by VideoFlyer; 24th February 2011 at 05:51 AM.
Old 24th February 2011, 09:38 AM
mistergoodbytes Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoFlyer View Post
I agree with unixrobot. However, there is an even easier method, using yum. The Boinc website (http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Insta...OINC_on_Fedora) has the procedure, and it works for Fedora 14, as I just did it, and had it up in about 5 minutes.

Anything that runs under windows has so much overhead to worry about, it always runs slower. I haven't checked timing using Wine, but my two systems are almost identical, and the Fedora box runs almost twice as many project units as the windows box.

Fair enough. My issue when I was trying BOINC in Linux before was the incessant goofing with permissions (and usually failing to get it running anyway). Has that been addressed now?
Old 24th February 2011, 02:44 PM
markkuk Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

There's no need to change any permissions with the Fedora 14 boinc packages.

Tags
boinc, fedora