Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th January 2011, 09:49 PM
piratefishfinge Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
video playback

Hey guys,
I have a problem playing back some video files, most players will show me the video as a jumble of diagonal lines. The colours seem good, its just diagonal and jumbled up. This is not unique to one container type, nor ar all file extensions affected, its just seems to be a handfull of random videos.
I tried finding a solution a few months ago, where i stumbled across a tip to use xine, which is the only player so far to manage to play the files properly. I have tried them on an old fedora machine i have running fc11, which has the same problem, and win xp which does not.
I have been using xine for the past while but i really hate it and i would like to never have to use it again.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 19th January 2011, 11:06 PM
bonedome Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: video playback

Hello
I have some flv's downloaded off the net that have a similar effect when played with mplayer but play perfectly with vlc, I suspect the culprit is the decoder used as mplayer uses a different one to vlc which uses a different one to totem and so on, If you play the file from the command line with mplayer and press q you get a very thorough printout of what the video is, decoder used, bitrate etc if it's all greek to you paste the output here and we'll have a butchers

Tags
playback, video