Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th January 2011, 03:55 PM
davec33 Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Red face can i get a root login option on login window

Hi, New to this so please excuse me if asking stupid question. Is it possible to login as root from the login window that appears at boot. At the moment only get my user name but as i am going to be installing a number of thinks would like to do it using root. So can i make root appear as an option at boot up. Have tried other then putting in root and password but does not work

Oh yes using Fedora 14

Last edited by davec33; 20th January 2011 at 03:55 PM. Reason: missed out version of fedora
Old 20th January 2011, 04:17 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfedorafirefox
Re: can i get a root login option on login window

This question's been asked and answered a lot of times. So, since you're new to the Forum, let me give you a tip: Clicking on the Search button up there. Well, the normal Search (top choice) is not really very good for some things. For instance, if you put in "root" or "login" you'll have 20 pages, probably not many of which will even address your problem. The SECOND Search box (Google-Fedora) will give you a lot more info. Maybe "root login" would be a good place to start.

Alternatively, you can certainly select the Advanced Search feature for our normal Search engine and select the Guides & Solutions Forum and browse for the topic, which is also covered there.

Basically, the devs don't want new users to destroy their systems by making errors in a gui root environment, so they've made it a bit more difficult. Most of us never, never need to go into the gui root environment and just use a terminal and "su -" to handle things.

Edit: Well, now that I've given you some tips, how about an answer???? Okay: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=227169
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 20th January 2011, 04:21 PM
Sicinthemind Offline

windows_7firefox

Well said Bob... This one should be marked solved.
Old 20th January 2011, 04:23 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfedorafirefox

Well, let's make sure the OP's got it fixed and is okay before we do that.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 20th January 2011, 06:12 PM
davec33 Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Smile Re: can i get a root login option on login window

Hi Bob, Steve,

Your right I did try searching and really did not get anything of any use so your tip is duly noted.

Your solution is also noted, and i thank you for it, i do not plan to continually work in root so all points you make are accepted with due caution.

I agree you have solved my issue, I wish everything in life had answers this quick.

Cheers

Dave C