Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th January 2011, 11:19 AM
tech291083 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Free and fully functional IDE for Fedora

Hi,

Fedora supports so many programming languaes such as C/C++/Java/PHP/Perl/Python/Ruby/JavaScript among others. I am looking for free and fully functional (open source or otherwise) IDEs that can help one develop programs in each of the above mentioned languages. I just want to download and install a free IDE (it could be more than one IDE considering so many languages) on my Fedora machine to learn these languages, atleast basics of them. I have only used free IDEs such as NetBeans, Eclipse in the distant past with little success. Whenever I ask for a good free IDE for PHP development, people just tell me to use the text editor of my choice. No idea it is the only way to learn PHP. Can you please suggest me which IDE to download? Here where I often go to have a look at the list of normally available IDEs, both free and paid ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...ts#C.2FC.2B.2B
Thanks

All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come - Victor Hugo

Last edited by tech291083; 27th January 2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 27th January 2011, 11:40 AM
pete_1967 Online
Clueless in a Cuckooland

macossafari
Re: Free and fully functional IDE for Fedora

Pretty much everything worth using is available in repositories already.

Strength of Eclipse and Netbeans is that they are both established and tried and tested and can be customised for any development via modules. You can pick-and-mix to your hearts content and they will work. They are also cross-platform meaning that you can use same IDE on Linux, Windows and OS X.

Others are Anjuta and KDevelop but don't disregard Vim and Emacs, both very capable and flexible editors often out-performing fancier looking IDEs.

Just remember, they are no point-and-click solutions, with increase in features comes increase in complexity, you do need to spend time learning to use them by reading tutorials, manuals and FAQs.

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime” so now go and...
RTFM FIRST: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/ & http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz

Tags
fedora, free, fully, functional, ide