Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th February 2011, 08:49 AM
mickeydiamant Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Removal of Nouveau driver crashes system after boot

Hello all.

I wanted to replace the Nouveau with the proprietary Nvidia driver. I removed Nouveau and changed to console mode with "init 1". Realizing that i did not properly save the binary file i switched back to graphic mode with "init 5" only to have the system freeze. I rebooted and chose the usual kernel in the grub menu. The system continued to load but froze right after the Fedora logo (which hides the textual loading details) finished loading. I can not even switch to a console with ctrl-alt-F1.

How can i fix this?
Old 10th February 2011, 08:57 AM
leigh123linux

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Removal of Nouveau driver crashes system after boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeydiamant View Post
Hello all.

I wanted to replace the Nouveau with the proprietary Nvidia driver. I removed Nouveau and changed to console mode with "init 1". Realizing that i did not properly save the binary file i switched back to graphic mode with "init 5" only to have the system freeze. I rebooted and chose the usual kernel in the grub menu. The system continued to load but froze right after the Fedora logo (which hides the textual loading details) finished loading. I can not even switch to a console with ctrl-alt-F1.

How can i fix this?
Why use the binary from nvidia?, look in the guides section for the nvidia guide.
Old 10th February 2011, 09:08 AM
mickeydiamant Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

I understand that. But it still does not solve the problem of the system freezing shortly after booting.
Could this have to do with the fact that the graphics card, Geforce 9600 GT, has only a DVI output, so the basic driver can't handle it?
Old 10th February 2011, 01:32 PM
SiliconSlick Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

You can boot to runlevel 1 by pressing the 'e' key in the grub menu, and appending a '1' (one) to the end of the kernel line. Then press 'b' for boot. From single user mode, you can either install the removed nouveau RPM from USB (once you mount it). Or, if you have a static network config, you can 'init 3' and then use yum to install it (if you use NetworkManager then that most likely won't work).

As mentioned, use the rpmfusion repo for NVIDIAs binary drivers. There is no need to remove nouveau first (and you probably shouldn't just to avoid the situation you are in), since rpmfusion provides an easy way to switch between the two (a good thing... as you would probably agree at this point).

SS
Old 10th February 2011, 02:25 PM
mickeydiamant Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Thank you siliconSlick. I will try it.

Tags
boot, crashes, driver, nouveau, removal