Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th February 2011, 03:06 PM
tparker Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Live upgrade F13 to F14 Spin to Spin

Following the directions here: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq

When I get to the end of step 3 "Clean Stuff " and it says "Then remove all traces of the version you are leaving from the yum cache in /var/cache/yum. ' yum clean all' "

What do I replace 'yum clean all' with in order to have the new install be the KDE Spin, same as I am coming from?

Or would I do the 'yum clean all' and then go somewhere else to specifically set the repos to the F14 KDE Spin? If so how do I do that?

When I did this from F13 to F14 I followed the instructions on that page and it worked great, but F14 was the default (gnome) so I had to do a fresh install anyway. I would like to fix that this time.

Last edited by tparker; 11th February 2011 at 03:06 PM. Reason: missing URL
Old 11th February 2011, 03:21 PM
William Haller Offline

linuxfedorakonqueror
Re: Live upgrade F13 to F14 Spin to Spin

A KDE spin simply includes different default packages than a normal spin. The live versions don't include as many installation options as the DVD version, but in general once you have some flavor of Fx installed, you can install other packages by groups.

For example to install KDE on a working Fx distribution you can type

yum groupinstall "KDE Software Compilation"

The repositories are the same. yum clean all will get most stuff there, but you can always look in /var/cache/yum and see if anything was missed (perhaps a /13/ directory for example if you have rebooted to /14/.

Last edited by William Haller; 11th February 2011 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Edit out duplicate
Old 11th February 2011, 05:10 PM
tparker Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

For example to install KDE on a working Fx distribution you can type

yum groupinstall "KDE Software Compilation"

I tried that after my F13 to F14 upgrade and it did give me KDE, but whenever I tried to remove gnome it insisted I had to remove X and several other important things along with gnome. Some of my hardware doesn't work correctly with gnome and I use the KDE spin to keep the install as gnome free as possible. So in this case, it is the default packaging of the KDE spin that is important not just being able to add KDE as an option.
Old 11th February 2011, 06:21 PM
SiliconSlick Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by tparker View Post
I tried that after my F13 to F14 upgrade and it did give me KDE, but whenever I tried to remove gnome it insisted I had to remove X and several other important things along with gnome. Some of my hardware doesn't work correctly with gnome and I use the KDE spin to keep the install as gnome free as possible. So in this case, it is the default packaging of the KDE spin that is important not just being able to add KDE as an option.
I'm curious....

I disbelieved you and so I just group installed the KDE compilation and removed almost everything that had gnome in the name.... the only gnome package I had to leave on was gnome-vfs2 for firefox/thunderbird. At no point did yum threaten to remove any xorg/X packages. So I still disbelieve you.

As others have pointed out, it all comes from the same repos. So just leave the repos the same and do a "clean all" just to let yum know you are moving from 13->14.

In addition to the groupinstall above (which can also be written 'yum groupinstall kde-desktop' (see the ....comps-14.xmls file in /var/cache/yum/[arch]/14/.....comps-14.xml for the short names)) there a a few more packages. For the rest of the customizations for the KDE spin install the fedora-kickstarts package and then look at /usr/share/spin-kickstarts/fedora-livecd-kde.ks. It adds a couple packages to kde-desktop (e.g. koffice/fuse/kdegames/etc.). At the bottom of the file it describes some of the customizations for the LiveCD.

But, in short, they are the same RPM/packages from the same repo. And there really should be no problem starting with a stock Gnome install and switching it to KDE. If you think you've found a problem doing that then a bug probably needs to be filed. But given that you started with the KDE spin, just follow the instructions on that page and you should end up pretty much where you were via a yum upgrade.

SS

Old 11th February 2011, 07:30 PM
tparker Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiliconSlick View Post
I'm curious....

I disbelieved you and so I just group installed the KDE compilation and removed almost everything that had gnome in the name.... the only gnome package I had to leave on was gnome-vfs2 for firefox/thunderbird. At no point did yum threaten to remove any xorg/X packages. So I still disbelieve you.
Fair enough. Someone here just told me that gnome was no longer as tightly tied into other packages as it once was and that seems to confirm it, thank you for trying it. yah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiliconSlick View Post
leave the repos the same and do a "clean all" just to let yum know you are moving from 13->14.
... For the rest of the customizations for the KDE spin install the fedora-kickstarts package and then look at /usr/share/spin-kickstarts/fedora-livecd-kde.ks. It adds a couple packages to kde-desktop (e.g. koffice/fuse/kdegames/etc.). At the bottom of the file it describes some of the customizations for the LiveCD.
That is very useful information, thank you! I will give it a try and see where I end up. It sounds like this time I should be able to avoid a clean install, which is good even though it is normally bad. Live upgrades let me keep using the system, clean installs leave me computerless until the person with control of the networked drives is available to help me set up the permissions and such for those again. lol.

Tags
f13, f14, live, spin, upgrade