Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th February 2011, 11:03 PM
FedoraFanBoy Offline

linuxfirefox
Unhappy Installation keeps failing. Need work-around.

(long explanation, actual question at the bottom)

Hi.
I'm a Fedora desktop user for a couple of years now and I have longer experience with linux on servers.

The box I'm talking about here is quite modern/fast. It's a fresh, new CentOS installation + a few packages I needed. The CentOS is a xen dom0 and I was looking to have fedora running as a xen domU (guest) (mainly so I can experiment with different types of virtualization to learn about them, including xen.)

The problem actually has nothing to do with xen. After reading "The book of Xen" and experimenting a bit I decided the only acceptable way to install a fedora DomU was their QEMU method, which goes as so:
1. Downlad Fedora-14-x86_64-DVD.iso (via bittorrent)
2. Create whatever partition or image file you want to install into.
3. Start a QEMU virtual machine that can see the installation iso as a disk and the media you're installing into.
4. Complete the installation in QEMU.
5. Write the xen config file pointing to your newly installed fedora, and launch.

The problem occurs at step 4.

Here's my step 3. It works fine:
# qemu-system-x86_64 -m 512 -hda /home/iso/fedora14.img -cdrom /home/iso/Fedora-14-x86_64-DVD/Fedora-14-x86_64-DVD.iso -boot d

First time I got into stage of installation where anaconda appears to be installing the many packages that will make up the installation. About half-way though I got an error in a message box saying "A fatal error occured when installing the $x package. This could indicate errors when reading the installation media. Installation cannot continue." where $x is the name of a package.
Second time I get the same error but $x is a different package (I think it was gcc the second time)
Third attempt, same error, $x was "iso-codes".

The installation media is not corrupt. I downloaded it though bittorrent which, IIRC, will verify the whole file is downloaded correctly. I've also run that verify thing at the beginning of the installation. On top of that:
$ sha512sum Fedora-14-x86_64-DVD.iso
801fae1391792a5b5d27f029a46da2af9f7a7f8a5096800c5d edf390724d6f2b3c572a6ae31f74eb35fe097279b4adb76789 e1bebdd37475d5d3ae332a4814f5 Fedora-14-x86_64-DVD.iso

So what on earth went wrong. My only guess is some sort of read error is that right?. The thing is, I can't think of any factor I can change to stop these. If you can please say.

Another solution would be to somehow get anaconda to 'try it again' instead of theowing an error and exiting. Or somehow resume the install from where it last stopped is this possible? I've tried the restore feature of the install DVD but it thinks there's an old version of fedora installed (:s), i didn't think it was going to work anyway.

Hope that wasn't too long, I tried to keep it detailed. Thanks in advance for the help. : ).

Oh p.s.: By the way the QEMU install is rather slow when centos has the xen kernel, if you're doing the same as me I advise you restart and boot from the non-xen kernel, if you can. I haven't done this yet but will do it next.

Last edited by FedoraFanBoy; 11th February 2011 at 11:09 PM.

Tags
failing, installation, workaround