Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th February 2011, 06:22 PM
luminarycrush Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
USB HID issues - device lock-out F12, F14

I'm having a strange and incredibly annoying problem with my USB HID's on Fedora 14.

The scenario goes like this:

1) log into X, using an interface device (typically mouse, though it sometimes happens with keyboard) normally for some amount of time.

2) usually while using device (though rarely while the device is not in active use) to perform some interface function in X (EG moving mouse, clicking button, typing on keyboard) the device 'hangs' and stops responding completely.

3) For the mouse lockup, if I plug in another mouse, the new mouse works fine with the *exception* that whatever function I was using on the mouse at the time of the lockup does not function. EG if I was dragging a window with the left button depressed and got the device lockup, the new mouse works fine but the left mouse button does not function.

Diagonstics so far:

1) no log messages in /var/log/{messages,Xorg.0.log} during lockup. Messages do appear when I connect a new mouse, but as mentioned unless this happens during non-use of the first mouse (random lockout) the new mouse is practically useless.

2) "lsusb" hangs after the lockout, but works fine before

3) Once any USB HID hangs I cannot use "ctrl-alt-F2" to get to a console login. It appears X is in an unstable state. I can 'ssh' to the machine remotely just fine and all is working normally, aside from 'lsusb' as far as I can tell.

4) killing X/trying to restart GDM hangs the machine and I have to cold start. If I have not killed X I can login from an 'ssh' session I can reboot the machine fine and it starts up normally with all HIDs working normally. If I have killed "X" the system hangs and I am unable to 'ssh' to the system.

5) the HID lockup seems to happen while at least one CPU core is under relatively heavy load. EG I'm working on a big GIMP image manipulation, or I just started Firefox and opened 20 bookmarked windows with Flash etc. This may not be consistently true but it's the impression I have.

6) this did not happen on F10. I first saw this happening when I upgraded my F10 partition to F12, and it continued when I went from F12 to F14.

7) this happens *a lot*. Today it's in a particularly bad mood as I've had to reboot 5 times. Sometimes it goes a week without a lockout. Today was a bad day.

While I'm open to the idea it's a hardware issue (USB subsystem?), it seems to be being handled poorly by X... and a warm reboot solving the problem makes me think the software should handle it better.

Tags
device, f12, f14, hid, issues, lockout, usb