but that seems to not do anything.
Old 7th March 2011, 12:54 AM
stoat Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Ndiswrapper enable on boot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatron

...but that seems to not do anything.
Well, it created a classic alias line in /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper. But if it failed to make the module load after rebooting, then there are two other "new" options to try for that. I never learned when to use which. I just experimented with them. They both completely overwrite any existing /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper file. Try this one next and reboot...
Code:
ndiswrapper -mi
If the module did not load, then try the other one and reboot...
Code:
ndiswrapper -ma
If it still is not loading the module, then try adding your modprobe command to /etc/rc.local.

P.S.: Another idea to try is to give /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper a .conf ending (i.e., /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper.conf). It may still work without it, but someday (maybe today) it will stop working without it.
Old 7th March 2011, 12:55 AM
JEO Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Try this as root:

ndiswrapper -ma

It will create a file /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper.conf with modprobe aliases for your card so it will load at boot.
Old 19th November 2011, 02:01 PM
Kubatko Offline

linuxchrome

Hello,

can anyone help me with loading ndiswrapper after start? All the mentioned steps failed, I am using the most recent version of fedora.

nothing after typing

ndiswrapper -ma
ndiswrapper -mi
ndiswrapper -m

I still have to type modprobe ndiswrapper after I start my computer,

Thank you
Old 19th November 2011, 02:37 PM
stoat Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubatko

nothing after typing

ndiswrapper -ma
ndiswrapper -mi
ndiswrapper -m

I still have to type modprobe ndiswrapper after I start my computer,
It turns out to be pointless to run all three of those commands one after the other (which your post implied). The first two completely overwrite the existing ndiswrapper file in /etc/modprobe.d, and the third one will issue some error messages before appending the traditional alias line to the existing ndiswrapper file (creating a mess there IMO). If you did do that, then one of them might have worked but you might not know it. See what I mean? The idea, IMO, is to find the one that works and use only it. So, to find that one, I would try running all three of them again but one at a time followed by a reboot after each one. And start with the -m option so it will be overwritten by one of the others if it doesn't work. When one of them works, then stop.

Next, if that still didn't help, try the above again but before rebooting each time, rename the /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper file that gets created to have a .conf ending. That's a relatively new requirement, and I am not sure if ndiswrapper has kept up with things like that. In fact, I doubt that anyone is maintaining ndiswrapper at all now.

Last, if nothing above helped, then enter your modprobe ndiswrapper command in your /etc/rc.local file.

P.S.: A note about those three ndiswrapper options... The -m option is the original one. It creates a file named /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper with a single alias line in it. We used that for years. Then some time later, those other two suddenly appeared with very little fanfare and even less explanation. The ndiswrapper --help command tells basically all that I know about them. I looked for a long time for something about them and found nothing. Not even any developer email banter. So I just experimented with them. When one worked, I quit and promptly put the whole affair out of my mind. Good luck with it.
Old 20th November 2011, 09:23 PM
Kubatko Offline

linuxchrome
Thumbs up Re: Ndiswrapper enable on boot?

Hello, thank you very much, renaming to conf helped.

Jakub
Old 16th July 2012, 12:38 AM
Drakonas Offline

linuxfirefox

Sorry to reopen this, but I tried both -ma and -mi (using sudo), and the /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper file isn't being created. It just says, "module configuration information is stored in /etc/modules.conf" (regenerating .etc.modules.conf) when I run the commands.

Edit: Nvm, I made a new post for this here.

Last edited by Drakonas; 16th July 2012 at 12:46 AM.

Tags
boot, enable, ndiswrapper