Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th April 2011, 08:50 AM
paulez Offline

linuxiceweasel
Mobile Broadband

I have been using a HSDPA modem on Fedora 14 without any problem. However, in Fedora 15 Network Manager applet I cannot find where to configure the broadband connection.
I have only a menu entry "automatic broadband connection" in nm-applet. In network parameters, in "mobile broadband" submenu, I only get a "Options" button which doesn't do anything.
How can I configure my mobile connection, is it a bug ?

Thanks for your help !
Old 13th April 2011, 12:12 PM
arowana Offline

macosfirefox
Re: Mobile Broadband

same here, last time i checked was BetaRC2, no options when you select mobile broadband, so i gently placed the ISO in my trashcan folder

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

oh no,wrong, it was BetaRC1 desktop 64bit

in RC2 i never reached the GDM login, so don´t know about the networkmanager in BetaRC2
Old 13th April 2011, 04:03 PM
Japplo Offline

windows_vistafirefox

I have configured it with:

Code:
$ nm-connection-editor
Old 14th April 2011, 09:09 AM
paulez Offline

linuxfirefox

Thanks Japplo, that was the configuration interface I was looking for. Obviously this interface cannot be found without knowing its command name ?
Old 14th April 2011, 09:21 AM
arowana Offline

macosopera

So ... there is still network connections like in Gnome 2 but the icon does not appear in applications?!

Was searching for network manager options in the new shell panels network manager via network settings, as i figured Gnome 3 is the new way to go, strange!
Old 14th April 2011, 02:12 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

there are quite a lot of the applications that were shown on the Gnome2 menus that do not appear in the Gnome 3 applications, however if you remember the command to run then, most are still usable.
Old 14th April 2011, 02:57 PM
arowana Offline

macosopera

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
there are quite a lot of the applications that were shown on the Gnome2 menus that do not appear in the Gnome 3 applications, however if you remember the command to run then, most are still usable.
You are right, saw it today when typing in the search form. Will install alacarte/main menu later and try if it still allows to show and hide icons per user preference.
Old 14th April 2011, 06:21 PM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfirefox

if the GNOME 3 NM interface isn't working properly to configure mobile broadband connections please file a bug, it should not be necessary to fall back on nm-connection-editor for this (though it does make a good general purpose workaround for NM issues).
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 14th April 2011, 08:51 PM
arowana Offline

macosopera

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
if the GNOME 3 NM interface isn't working properly to configure mobile broadband connections please file a bug, it should not be necessary to fall back on nm-connection-editor for this (though it does make a good general purpose workaround for NM issues).
ATM the new NM does not work for mobile broadband (at least for me), might fill a bugreport tomorrow, depends on my time
Old 22nd April 2011, 10:30 PM
David Batson Offline

linuxfirefox

I also cannot connect to Mobile Broadband with F15, new laptop, and new Sierra Wireless 890 AirCard (ExpressCard).

I tried the command above and was able to add the configuration for my 890 AirCard, but it still will not connect. It appears that it is not being enumerated properly as per the Sierra Wireless Knowledgebase.

I have filed a bug report: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=699030

Tags
broadband, mobile