Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th April 2011, 06:25 PM
maugre Offline

macoschrome
x86_64 livecd: no login screen, gnome-shell, or gnome-fallback at boot

Hello everyone. I'm a new linux user who decided to try out the F15 beta livecd (x86_64) to try out both Fedora and Gnome-shell. However, there seems to be a problem. The livecd loads and boots fine, up until where the fedora logo is filled up, but my screen subsequently displays the default desktop wallpaper and nothing else. It just stays that way - no GDM login and no gnome-shell or gnome-fallback. Rebooting X with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace doesn't help. Pressing alt-F2 fades the screen slightly and pressing ESC returns it to how it was, so there has to be something taking input, but nothing else appears. Interestingly, the right edge of the screen is a border for the cursor, but the cursor can disappear beyond the left edge of the screen.

I did some searching with google, on the fedora bug database and on these forums, and the only thing I found that seemed relevant was the instructions for fixing a problem with selinux, as posted here: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=261937 however when I switched to command-line and followed the instructions I received the following output:

Code:
Fedora release 15 (Lovelock)
Kernel 2.6.38.2-9.fc15.x86_64 on an x86_64 (tty2)

[root@localhost liveuser]# rep gnome-session-c /var/log/audit/audit.log | audit2allow -M nvidiaisbroken
compilation failed:
nvidiaisbroken.te:6:ERROR 'syntax error' at token '' on line 6:

/usr/bin/checkmodule: error(s) encountered while parsing configuration
/usr/bin/checkmodule: loading policy configuration from nvidiaisbroken.te
[root@localhost liveuser]# semodule -i nvidiaisbroken.pp
semodule: Failed on nvidiaisbroken.pp!
I mucked about and also tried the following with no idea what I was doing:

Code:
[root@localhost liveuser]# semodule -i nvidiaisbroken.te
libsepol.module_package_read_offsets: wrong magic number for module package: expected 0xf97cff8f, got 0x646f6d0a
libsemanage.parse_module_headers: Could not parse module data.
semodule: Failed on nvidiaisbroken.te!
I tried checking to see if nouveau was blacklisted in grub.conf but i get:

Code:
bash: /boot/grub/grub.conf: No such file or directory.
This error is reproducible and occurs at every startup. There is also the usual "mkdir: cannot create directory '/run': File exists" error on tty1 at startup but I understand that's normal.

Hardware: I am running a DIY box with a nvidia GTS250 card (which may be the problem as it's not on the supported lists last i checked :c) and an Intel i3 processor. Will be happy to answer any other queries.

What I would like to know is: is the problem with graphics card support (in which case will support be added soon?), a bug in the code (fixed or otherwise), or something which I can troubleshoot at the command line?
Old 28th April 2011, 07:21 PM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfirefox
Re: x86_64 livecd: no login screen, gnome-shell, or gnome-fallback at boot

this reads like a graphics driver bug to me. Can you file it at http://bugzilla.redhat.com/ against F15 and the xorg-x11-drv-nouveau package, including the info suggested at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_t..._Xorg_problems ? thanks!
http://www.happyassassin.net

Tags
boot, gnomefallback, gnomeshell, livecd, login, screen, x8664