Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th May 2012, 05:27 PM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Downside of removing plymouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirik View Post
You can uninstall dracut if you like, but you won't be able to generate a new initramfs file (so you won't be able to update kernels).
Not quite true. When you get a new kernel through yum update it pulls in dracut and plymouth as dependencies. So you can update the kernel and then just remove dracut and plymouth again if you like. That's what I do, it works for me.
OS: Fedora 20 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 5GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N
Old 7th May 2012, 06:05 PM
stevea Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Downside of removing plymouth

Still seems a little bass-ackwards that dracut depends on plymouth. I realize dracut may want include include plymouth and its libs in an initramfs by default - but it *should* be able to proceed without it.

Another wild 'n wooly dependency graph..

Tags
downside, plymouth, removing