Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th May 2011, 10:46 AM
antus Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Damaged HDD, LVM recovery tools?

Hi,

This is my story, i'll try and keep it quick.

I used to run a dual boot system. Both OS's were on different disks. The fedora installs were reasonably default, and so were on to LVM. Fast forward a couple of years, the system had been updated to a newer fedora, and the majority of my data was backed up. Then - hard drive failure! I have lost the ability to access the first 20mb or so at the beginning of the drive.

The boot loader is on the other drive. I can see grub, pick fedora, and see the kernel load. The drive clicks and klunks and eventually fails to mount root. As there are so many LVM bashers around, I have decided to look at this as an academic project and to try and recover as much data possible, to learn how to do it and document how its done. I have recovered data from ext3 using alternate superblocks, and fat32 and ntfs with tools for that other system. Surely it should be possible with LVM on fedora? The partition in question is ext3 formatted.

So far, no good. I have not been able to locate any ext3 superblocks inside the LVM, nor have been able to bring up the LVM. Searching around I have not been able to turn up any serious file system recovery tools for ext3 or LVM.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by antus; 25th May 2011 at 10:48 AM.

Tags
damaged, hdd, lvm, recovery, tools