Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th May 2011, 08:51 PM
prague Offline

windows_xp_2003chrome
fc14 preupgrade to fc15 hang on first boot

hi all,
i have just upgraded from f14 to f15 using preupgrade. i am now still waiting for the first boot to finish. the screen is stuck for more than an hour and the last line written was:

Started LSB: Start up the OpenSSH server daemon.

and there is a blinking cursor.

any help will be much appreciated.
monty...
Old 27th May 2011, 09:26 PM
William Haller Offline

linuxfedorakonqueror
Re: fc14 preupgrade to fc15 hang on first boot

I run kdm, and mine hung for two reasons - one long hang was that even though a swap device was properly defined, I evidently needed to specifically run swapon on the device. The permanent hang was due to kdm still having a -rn option specified in the configuration file that it doesn't like now for some reason.

Also, I noted afterwards that due to having to use a --skip-broken to get it to run at all, it had skipped about half the packages. I removed the offending blockers and still need to do the rest of the f15 upgrade - perhaps today.
Old 27th May 2011, 09:51 PM
prague Offline

windows_xp_2003chrome

what do you mean by "specifically run swapon on the device"? also, mine did not reach the kdm stage. the next line on the console i believe should have been:

starting LSB: Start up the NFS file locking sevice...

so i am very far from the kdm stage.
Old 28th May 2011, 01:30 AM
William Haller Offline

linuxfedorakonqueror

In order to keep from a long delay while it said it was making the volatile files and directories, I had to run the swapon command on my specified swap device. After that it went by that section without problem. I haven't upgraded any boxes with NFS yet - possibly this weekend I'll get it done.

I'd recommend starting in single user mode by editing the boot command and adding a 1 at the end of the second line. Then you can experiment running each service one at a time to try to see where the problem is. Run them in the background (service named start &) to make sure you can still get at the command line. That and the ability to see the /var/log/messages and other boot time files would be helpful for anybody who could help with the boot problems you are seeing.

Tags
boot, fc14, fc15, hang, preupgrade