Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th May 2011, 06:05 PM
Lausanne

windows_xp_2003firefox
No power management after upgrade

Hi everybody,

I just did an upgrade from F13 to F14.[*] Now, power management (in Gnome) does not work any more. For example, when pressing the power button, there is just a 'Cancel' button (no button for shut down, suspend, hibernate), in Gnome menu there is no possibility to shut down, and in 'gnome-power-preferences' most options do not work at all. For example, there is no other option than 'Blank screen' for 'When laptop lid is closed' action. When starting 'gnome-power-preferences' with '--verbose' parameter, I get following error messages:

Code:
Cannot add option, as cannot suspend.
Cannot add option, as cannot hibernate.
Cannot add option, as cannot shutdown.
I reinstalled 'upower' and 'gnome-power-manager', and erased 'acpid' (I saw that 'acpid' is not installed in F14 live system), which did not help, unfortunately. Interestingly, when starting 'gnome-power-preferences' with root rights, suspend, hibernate and shut down options are OK and I do not get any error messages.

Does anyone has an idea what could solve this problem? Otherwise I could try to do a fresh installation of F14, because I remarked that there is no power management problem in F14 live system. By then I will have to continue using 'su -c 'poweroff'' to shut down my computer ...

[*] Initially I wanted to skip F14 and directly upgrade to F15, but because RPM Fusion does not support F15 yet and my computer does not work without some packages from this third party repository, I decided to upgrade to F14.
Old 29th May 2011, 11:30 AM
Lausanne

linuxfirefox
Re: No power management after upgrade

I just noticed that RPM fusion now supports F15. A fresh installation of F15 solved this and many other problems that appeared after the F14 upgrade (e.g. with SE Linux and Nautilus). No need to shut down my computer with 'poweroff' any more ... =)

Tags
f14, hibernate, power management, shutdown, suspend