Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th May 2011, 07:43 AM
mjung Offline

linuxfirefox
Fedora 15: Laptop doesn't wake up from suspend occasionally

I've installed Fedora 15 on my Lenovo Ideapad U350 to see what the Gnome3 fuzz is all about as part of my "the future of desktop computing" article research. I'm not sure whether or not I like it yet...

Anyway, the laptop seems to have some issues with Fedora 15: whether I close the lid or use the suspend buttons in Gnome3 it always goes to sleep. However, occasionally (I'd say every fifth or sixth time) it doesn't wake up completely. It does wake up but instead of showing the Gnome GUI it remains stuck with a white cursor in the top left corner. I've left it running in this state all night just to make sure it's not a temporary thing and it was still stuck in the morning. I have two other linux systems installed on this thing (Fedora 13 & Ubuntu 10.10) and neither of those does anything like this. Going to sleep and waking up always worked like a charm.

Any idea where I could start debugging this? I'm kinda leaning towards Broadcom's wl.ko wifi driver - where does Fedora store its information about which modules to unload prior to suspend and load again once resumed? Is there some sort of suspend/wakeup log? I have a 60GB Corsair Sandforce SSD in this laptop. Not sure if it makes a difference tho.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!

Last edited by mjung; 29th May 2011 at 08:18 AM. Reason: typos
Old 29th May 2011, 08:30 AM
bluesteel Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Fedora 15: Laptop doesn't wake up from suspend occasionaly

I have the same problem Sometimes it just freezes and then you can only do hard shutdown
Old 29th May 2011, 08:40 AM
oliveryty Offline

windows_xp_2003chrome

I really don't know what's the use of the "suspend" button, I have never figured out what that button is for since I began using linux.

The "suspend" button is really strange button, every time I click that button I have to quit by pressing Reset

---------- Post added at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 AM ----------

the quickest way to shutdown a linux os is to tap the command "shutdown -h now" in the terminal
Old 30th May 2011, 06:28 PM
MaxMouse Offline

linuxfirefox

I join the list,
I can not resume from suspend my laptop, I have a HP dv6-2077la, I think it's a drivers or Kernell problems cause I unable to do it in Ubuntu 11.04 or Fedora 15 either.
Old 1st June 2011, 02:59 PM
Overlord Nathan Offline

linuxchrome

I can't resume from suspend, either. I'm using a Samsung N130.
Old 1st June 2011, 10:47 PM
Bill_KY Offline

linuxfirefox

Suspend-to-Ram does not work with my System 76 Pangolin P4. Debian, Mepis, Ubuntu and Suse all do this properly.

Any advice on where to look?

Last edited by Bill_KY; 1st June 2011 at 10:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 2nd June 2011, 01:21 PM
theone123 Offline

windows_7firefox

Hmm yeah. There's definitely a problem with suspend. When I click on the suspend button in the menu, it works. But when i close the notebook lid and i try to wake it up again my system freezes. The strange thing is that i can move my mouse cursor and see the activity bar on top. Only thing I can do is hard reset.

Has anyone an idea?? Could this be a kernel bug?? Or is it rather an Gnome 3 or acpi bug??
Old 2nd June 2011, 04:57 PM
pmdyer Offline

linuxchrome

I have the same wakeup problem. It goes to sleep during the night, then will not wakeup. It shows a lock username, in the top right corner. The mouse is active, but everything else is black. Hard reboot has been my only option.

How do I wakeup the laptop?
Old 3rd June 2011, 07:21 PM
kh1116 Offline

linuxchrome

I have not been able to get my computer to wake up yet. It seems to be some kind of video problem to me
Old 6th June 2011, 02:40 AM
iceman4sd Offline

linuxfirefox

Add me to the list with you guys. Anyone know a way we might can pin-point the problem?
Old 6th June 2011, 05:46 AM
kh1116 Offline

linuxfirefox

What video drivers are you running? I am running nvidia
Old 6th June 2011, 08:02 PM
David Batson Offline

windows_7opera

If it's any consolation, I sometimes have this problem on my new ThinkPad X220 in Windows 7. Only seems to occur when I have my Sierra Wireless 890 ExpressCard WWAN card plugged in. After a hard shutdown and choosing "Last known good configuration" (in Win 7), the problem does not occur again until I reboot.
Old 6th June 2011, 08:17 PM
iceman4sd Offline

linuxfirefox

My laptop has a Radeon Mobility 4650. I've checked the pm-suspend.log but it says my laptop successfully suspended. When I open the lid sometimes I'll get a blinking cursor but it just hangs there.
Old 7th June 2011, 08:08 AM
Daave Offline

windows_7chrome

Mine had a same issue and it was found that the battery was outdated, so I had to get it replaced.....Now it is fine....
Old 8th June 2011, 08:15 PM
iceman4sd Offline

linuxfirefox

I finally got my suspend / resume to work. I just wanted to come back and share so maybe it will help anyone else who's having this problem. The module firewire_ohci was causing my laptop to not resume properly.

You can stop it with "rmmod bluetooth_ohci"

If that doesn't work, you can use lsmod to see a list of modules running and try removing some of the others. On my system there were very few I could remove because they were in use, but bluetooth_ohci worked fine.

If that still doesn't solve your problem, here is the link I found that helped me and it has some other common causes for this problem you can try.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Kernel...Resume_failure

Tags
fedora, laptop, occasionaly, suspend, wake