Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora and it's software that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 1st June 2011, 10:41 AM
schmidtw Offline

linuxfirefox
No USB in Virtualbox guests on F15 host (after RC)

I'm still having the problem described in this thread (F15 + VirtualBox + USB Extension doesn't work). Does anyone else have this problem, or solutions to it?

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=263400

I have a working Windows XP VM hosted by Fedora 15, except for the USB support.

I have the extensions installed.
VirtualBox-4.0-4.0.8_71778_fedora15-1.x86_64
Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.0.8-71778.vbox-extpack
2.6.38.6-27.fc15.x86_64

Any help is appreciated.
Old 23rd June 2011, 12:28 PM
thisisme Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: No USB in Virtualbox guests on F15 host (after RC)

Hello Everyone

Same here.. doing some Googling... but so far no mention of solutions... SELinux perhaps?? (no warning popups though and nothing in the SEL Troubleshooter app)

Last edited by thisisme; 23rd June 2011 at 12:30 PM. Reason: omission
Old 23rd June 2011, 01:08 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: No USB in Virtualbox guests on F15 host (after RC)

I saw a thread someplace that showed that someone had an selinux error that was preventing USB form working. look at your selinux errors and see if one is popping up on your machine. If it is an selinux issue, you can set up a policy to allow it to work.

I know the USB extensions work fine here and didn't run into any issues getting it to work. I installed VirtualBox from the Oracle site repo, installed the extensions, then install Windows XP into a VM, booted it into safe mode and installed the guest extensions.

EDIT:

I ran across a note on the VirtualBox site while looking for something else that may be pertinent here.

Quote:

USB not working

If USB is not working on your Linux host, make sure that the current user is a member of the vboxusers group. On older hosts, you need to make sure that the user has permission to access the USB filesystem (usbfs), which VirtualBox relies on to retrieve valid information about your host's USB devices. The rest of this section only applies to those older systems.
So check to see if the user running VirtualBox is added to the vboxusers group.

Last edited by DBelton; 23rd June 2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 23rd June 2011, 02:54 PM
thisisme Offline

linuxfirefox
Exclamation Re: No USB in Virtualbox guests on F15 host (after RC)

Hi Guys

Got mine working... it seems...

I would suggest the following sequence.

1. Install VirtualBox (I don't think it matters whether you add the repo or pull the rpm and install locally - as long as you don't mix the Open Source Edition with the PUEL stuff)
2. Make sure the user is part of the vboxusers group. This was somehow trickier than I anticipated. The user tool under System Settings sucks, so I used the usermod command from the command line. Then I checked it via system-config-users. Somehow I was NOT part of the vboxusers group. So - bottomline, you need to be part of <user_group> (Primary), vboxusers, wheel (if you chose "make Administator during setup of the account). Please double-check this as I had some anomalies here.
3. Download and save the Extension Pack. Remove previous versions (if any). Install from saved location.
4. Reboot
5. Run VirtualBox. Create/Configure a guest
6. No more USB error.....
7. Enjoy!

Tags
f15, guests, host, usb, virtualbox