Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Security and Privacy
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Security and Privacy Sadly, malware, spyware, hackers and privacy threats abound in today's world. Let's be paranoid and secure our penguins, and slam the doors on privacy exploits.

Old 14th June 2011, 03:27 AM
menotu3169 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Remotely decrypting or removing encryption

Hi,

I have a computer running Fedora 14 and when I installed it, I chose to encrypt the drive.

I've recently changed the way I have things set up and don't want the encryption any more. From what I've read there is no way to simply and easily remove the encryption, so what I would like to do is input the pass phrase remotely.

so, Is there anyway I can type in the pass phrase remotely, or remove the encryption?

Thanks
Mark
Old 14th June 2011, 03:45 PM
bodhi.zazen Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Re: Remotely decrypting or removing encryption

If you used LUKS you can use a key file to decrypt the drive.
Old 15th June 2011, 06:02 AM
menotu3169 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Remotely decrypting or removing encryption

Right, so I've followed the couple of tutorials that I've found on google, but I haven't gotten it working so far.

here's the link for one of the tutorials: http://www.howtoforge.com/automatica...with-a-keyfile

I was hoping someone might be able to help, or point me in the right direction.

Here's what I've got:
I've got two hard drives, one that I use for operating systems and one I use for data storage.

sda is broken into sda1, which is a Windows partition
sda2 which is the boot partition for my fedora installation and
sda3 which is the main fedora partition.

neither sda1, or sda2 is not encrypted, but sda3 is

When I start my computer, I'm presented with the GRUB menu, and when I select my fedora installation, I'm asked for the pass phrase.

Now, I've created a key file on my second hard drive. I've used cryptsetup -luksAddKey to add the file as a key, and created entries in /etc/crypttab, and /etc/fstab but it still prompts me for the key when I reboot.

Now, I'm not sure if it's a problem with my entries in fstab or crypttab, or if there is another problem.

Based on some of the things I've read, I'm guessing that part of my problem is that my second hard drive(the one with the key file) isn't being mounted until AFTER the prompt for the pass phrase, but I'm not 100% sure.

So that's what I've got. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

Tags
decrypting, encryption, remotely, removing