Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th June 2011, 02:25 AM
srisanj4 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
New System Install: "Trying to trying to unpack rootfs image as initramfs"

I am trying to install Fedora. New to Fedora but used Linux/Unix machine earlier - not in the capacity as admin though.

I have good machine that is about 10 yrs old. Have IDE HDD, DVD drives. 512 MB memory and Intel Celeron 1700MHZ processor. The machine is currently running SUSE linux.

I want to load Fedora. I have downloaded Fedora 15 DVD ISO image and trying to install it.

The installation goes up to certain point and hangs at the same point when it is "trying to unpack rootfs image as initramfs" - this is the message I get as well. It hangs so tight that I have to give reset the machine using the reset button.

I have read other posting on this topic - although in earlier case, it was reported that s/he was trying to go from Fed 14 to Fed 15. And that the user was able to get the prompt after hitting Ctrl+C 30+ times.

In this case, it is a new install - straight boot from DVD and getting up to this point and HANG!!

However, I still tried to use the solution suggested in other post - ran memory test successfully. Had an additional PCI card (USB 2.0 and Firewire port) removed it. But it did not help. I think mother board is OK - as I said; I am running SUSE linux on it currently. If I removed Fed DVD, the machine boots just fine with SUSE linux on the HDD.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you
srisanj4
Old 20th June 2011, 03:04 AM
sonoran Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: New System Install: "Trying to trying to unpack rootfs image as initramfs"

You may be running into this "not enough memory" issue:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=264311

The workaround there will sometimes allow installation of a 32-bit fedora with only 512 M of ram.
Old 20th June 2011, 03:58 AM
srisanj4 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Hello sonoran,

I went through the thread you referred. My problem is that I am not able to Boot. I have "install" DVD and not live DVD. Are you suggesting I use Live DVD?

Thanks for your help!!

-srisanj4
Old 20th June 2011, 04:47 AM
sonoran Offline

linuxfirefox

Hi srisanj4,

You could try the LiveCD, and if it will not install to your hd because of the insufficient memory issue, also attempt the workaround from that thread.

You also might want to use one of the "spins" of the LiveCD - lxde or xfce - instead of the default Gnome version, because Gnome 3 in Fedora 15 requires a fairly recent video card. Gnome 3 might install but put you in "fallback mode", which no one seems to like very much.

At least you might be able to get a working Fedora 15 install, and modify it afterwards.
Old 20th June 2011, 04:54 AM
srisanj4 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Hello Sonoran

Thank you... I will try Live version ...tomorrow

best regards
Srisanj4
Old 22nd June 2011, 03:19 AM
srisanj4 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Hello,

I downloaded Fedora-15-x86_64-Live-KDE. The installation does not go further than initial few steps - I dont know what stage it hangs... all I see is the horizontal line with Fedora on right side.

So, I cannot get to a stage to edit the work around specified in other thread..

regards
srisanj4
Old 23rd June 2011, 03:35 AM
srisanj4 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Hello,

I am trying to boot from live CD of Fedora 15. Not going too far into boot process...

Getting following error

mount: unknown filesystem type 'DM_snapshot_cow'

this line repeats several times and then I get following

Dropping to debug shell

sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
dracut:/#

can you please help?

regards
srisanj4
Old 23rd June 2011, 06:35 PM
srisanj4 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Hello,

I did not fix anything. I tried about 10 times between last time and this time. Just an hour ago, I was able to boot from live CD.

After booting, I changed /usr/sbin/anaconda per notes from other thread. Then I tried to install to harddisk. Nothing happened. For your information.... I will keep trying... without knowing what to fix

regards
srisanj4
Old 26th June 2011, 11:49 AM
mosiur786 Offline

linuxchrome
Exclamation Re: New System Install: "Trying to trying to unpack rootfs image as initramfs"

I am trying to install Fedora. New to Fedora 15 earlier using fedora 11 i686 PAE.

I have good laptop Dell latitude D410 that is about 6 yrs old. Have 85GB HDD,external DVD drives. 512 MB memory and Intel Centrino 2.0GHZ processor. The machine is currently running fedora linux 11.

I want to load Fedora 15. I have downloaded Fedora 15 DVD ISO image and trying to install it.

The installation goes up to certain point and hangs at the same point when it is "trying to unpack rootfs image as initramfs" - this is the message I get as well. It hangs so tight that I have to give reset the machine using the reset button.

I have read other posting on this topic - although in earlier case, it was reported that s/he was trying to go from Fed 14 to Fed 15. And that the user was able to get the prompt after hitting Ctrl+C 30+ times.

In this case, it is a new install - straight boot from DVD and getting up to this point and HANG!!

However, I still tried to use the solution suggested in other post - ran memory test successfully.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you
if u get any solution please email me to mosiurrehman9@gmail.com

Last edited by mosiur786; 26th June 2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 20th December 2011, 06:27 PM
yakov63 Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Thumbs up Re: New System Install: "Trying to trying to unpack rootfs image as initramfs"

I encounter the same problem with computer (ML Prolint 110) very old with IDE disk and 512 Mb RAM
After reading the topics of this Thread I removed a 512 Mb RAM and put there 1 Gb.
The installation passed "Trying to trying to unpack rootfs image as initramfs" and running forward

Thanks to posters.
Old 28th October 2012, 07:24 AM
mosiur786 Offline

windows_xp_2003chrome
Thumbs up Re: New System Install: "Trying to trying to unpack rootfs image as initramfs"

the installation went correctly after changing the ram to 1gb

Tags
install