Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th June 2011, 05:05 AM
andyzhu35 Offline

linuxfirefox
F15 Gnome 3: disable top right corner effect

Really get annoyed when mouse is moved to the top right corner then the window is switched to the application view/chooser. I want to get rid of this effect and modified following key in gconf-editor as suggested in http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho....php?t=217693:

apps/compiz/plugins/scale/allscreens/option, change initiate_edge from TopRight to None. but nothing happens on the effect. The top right corner effect still there.

How to disable this top right corner effect?

Thank you.
Old 28th June 2011, 09:43 PM
cymbaline42 Offline

linuxopera
Re: F15 Gnome 3: disable top right corner effect

There is an extension that does this.

Open 'Add/Remove software' and search for 'gnome-shell-extension-noripple' and install it. You may have to log out and log back in for it to take effect.
Old 28th June 2011, 09:50 PM
ElderSnake Offline

windows_7chrome

Hi, yes you'll have to use the aforementioned extension.

Gnome 3/Gnome-Shell doesn't use Compiz so the gconf-editor fixes won't work
Old 28th June 2011, 10:19 PM
andyzhu35 Offline

linuxfirefox

yes, thanks.

Yum install and reboot. But the corner effect is still there. Is there any configuration to twist around?

Last edited by andyzhu35; 28th June 2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old 30th June 2011, 09:45 AM
alfatal Offline

linuxfirefox

gnome-shell-extension-noripple only disables the ripple animation yet the "top right corner effect" is still active...
Old 30th June 2011, 11:00 AM
mightymouse2045 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyzhu35 View Post
Really get annoyed when mouse is moved to the top right corner then the window is switched to the application view/chooser. I want to get rid of this effect and modified following key in gconf-editor as suggested in http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho....php?t=217693:

apps/compiz/plugins/scale/allscreens/option, change initiate_edge from TopRight to None. but nothing happens on the effect. The top right corner effect still there.

How to disable this top right corner effect?

Thank you.
Um are you talking about the top left corner effect or definitely the top right corner?
Old 30th June 2011, 12:25 PM
alfatal Offline

linuxfirefox

I assume he's talking about the top left corner... else ripples wouldn't make any sense..
Old 30th June 2011, 12:57 PM
mightymouse2045 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfatal View Post
I assume he's talking about the top left corner... else ripples wouldn't make any sense..
Yet he seems adamant about it being in the top right - the reason i ask is perhaps he has the extension to add a hotspot in the right corner, although I don't think there is a ripple effect for the top right corner extension hotspot :P
Old 30th June 2011, 02:33 PM
fpmurphy Offline

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Yet he seems adamant about it being in the top right - the reason i ask is perhaps he has the extension to add a hotspot in the right corner, although I don't think there is a ripple effect for the top right corner extension hotspot
If the OP is using my extension, there is an option (SHOW_RIPPLE) to either show a ripple effect or not.
Old 30th June 2011, 03:30 PM
andyzhu35 Offline

windows_vistafirefox

Hi, All:

Thank you for helping me. first I am not sure if this is called ripple effect. The symptom I have is: if I have 2 apps open, say terminal and firefox and is viewing in firefox with the browser in full window; now if I move mouse to the very upper RIGHT corner of the screen, then the window will display these 2 open apps with smaller windows for each and waiting for mouse to click one of them to activate. I am not sure if this is ripple or not. But I don't want to have this effect since most of time the mouse movement in this case is accidental.

From suggestion, I installed noripple extension and hope it will remove the undesirable effect. but it doesn't work. So I am asking again for help.

Thank you again.
Old 30th June 2011, 04:25 PM
mightymouse2045 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmurphy View Post
If the OP is using my extension, there is an option (SHOW_RIPPLE) to either show a ripple effect or not.
There you go
Old 30th June 2011, 04:25 PM
alfatal Offline

linuxfirefox

I only know this effect in top LEFT... are you using a RTL language maybe?
Old 30th June 2011, 04:29 PM
mightymouse2045 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
now if I move mouse to the very upper RIGHT corner of the screen, then the window will display these 2 open apps with smaller windows for each and waiting for mouse to click one of them to activate. I am not sure if this is ripple or not.
Ok no that's not a ripple effect - that sort of sounds like the app alt tab up in the right corner?! ummm are you sure your running Fedora 15 with gnome shell?

Does anyone know of an app or extension that is doing something like this in F15? I'm a bit stumped on this one dude.

Have you done a fresh install of F15 or an upgrade? Perhaps if it's an upgrade from a previous version of fedora you could have some app leftover? can you post some screenshots that could be helpful.
Old 30th June 2011, 04:38 PM
cymbaline42 Offline

linuxopera

Quote:
Hi, All:

Thank you for helping me. first I am not sure if this is called ripple effect. The symptom I have is: if I have 2 apps open, say terminal and firefox and is viewing in firefox with the browser in full window; now if I move mouse to the very upper RIGHT corner of the screen, then the window will display these 2 open apps with smaller windows for each and waiting for mouse to click one of them to activate. I am not sure if this is ripple or not. But I don't want to have this effect since most of time the mouse movement in this case is accidental.

From suggestion, I installed noripple extension and hope it will remove the undesirable effect. but it doesn't work. So I am asking again for help.

Thank you again.

The default action on Fedora 15 is to have the ripple effect on the left. Since you're sure that it's on the right, it means you must have installed the aforementioned extension (righthotcorner from here: http://www.fpmurphy.com/gnome-shell-extensions/)

To disable that, just remove the extension, i.e. delete the folder from /home/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions and restart the shell (Alt+F2, press r and Enter).
Old 30th June 2011, 06:16 PM
fpmurphy Offline

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Does anyone know of an app or extension that is doing something like this in F15? I'm a bit stumped on this one dude.
I have never come across such an extension.

Suggest that you remove ALL extensions and see what happens.

Tags
corner, disable, effect, f15, gnome