Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th July 2011, 01:21 AM
techmum Offline

linuxchrome
btrfs - add RAID1 partition to existing encrypted btrfs parition

Am testing btrfs to replicate RAID1 structure I use with ext4 systems. Simple example will be

/dev/sda1 fd Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sda2 fd Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sda3 83 Linux

and same on /dev/sdb

Since GRUB does not currently support btrfs, I have created two software RAID devices for /boot and swap, e.g. md0 = /dev/sda1 + /dev/sdb1 and md1 = /dev/sda2 + /dev/sdb2

Anaconda does not support creation of btrfs RAID devices, so I have created encrypted btrfs partition /dev/sda3.

I now want to add /dev/sdb3 as a btrfs RAID1 device. However, all the btrfs documentaiton I can find, such as https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index....ltiple_Devices cover creation of RAID1 system by formatting both devices/partitions.

However, I want to add /dev/sdb3 to be a btrfs RAID1 partition that is a clone of current encrypted /dev/sda3 partition.

Anyone any ideas?

p.s. it is my understanding, that also reflects very poor performance results I have seen, that running btrfs on top of traditional mdadm software RAID structure exhibits unacceptable performance results and also appears that btrfs is in fact meant to replace both mdadm software RAID systems as well as LVM

Tags
btrfs raid1 encrypted