Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Servers & Networking
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Servers & Networking Discuss any Fedora server problems and Networking issues such as dhcp, IP numbers, wlan, modems, etc.

Old 6th July 2011, 03:16 PM
gav989 Offline

linuxchrome
How I got wifi working on my Hp Pavilion dm1-3101ea using ndiswrapper

Hi all, spent all day on this so thought I'd share it here in case it helps others

This laptop arrived in the post yesterday and everything on f15 works out of the box except wireless. Digging out an old ethernet cable I was finally able to get wireless working by doing the following:

First install ndiswrapper. We'll be using rpmfusion for this so you'll need to

Code:
yum --nogpgcheck install http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release.rpm http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stable.noarch.rpm
to add rpm fusion. I then downloaded the ndiswrapper rpm from here: http://158.197.16.70/pub/mirrors/rpm....fc15.i686.rpm and installed it by double clicking on it

Then came the fun part, the driver I needed came as an installshield .exe file which didn't include the .inf and .sys files needed by ndiswrapper. the device listed in the BIOS of the laptop was VQF-RT5390BC8. After hours of fiddling around I eventually installed the PCI/mPCI/CB (RT2860 /RT2760 /RT2890 /RT2790 /RT306X /RT309X /RT35X2/RT539X) driver available here: http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php on my windows xp partition and copied the files out of the install directory.

For the convenience of others (and myself should I have to do all this again) I have uploaded the files I copied out of windows to my dropbox and you can download them here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1135581/RT28...diswrapper.zip

Once I had these files it was fairly easy. Navigate into the driver directory and as root do:
Code:
ndiswrapper –i RT2860.inf

ndiswrapper –m
For reasons i don't understand the next part requires you to be logged in as root using the command

su -l

rather than simply

su
Code:
gedit /etc/modules

add at the bottom of this text file:

ndiswrapper
Upon rebooting the computer the guide I was following told me it should just work, but alas it didn't. In fact, in order to get it working I needed to run
Code:
depmod -a

modprobe ndiswrapper
every time I loaded the computer. However I found the solution to this in a forum somewhere:

I needed to add
Code:
/sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper &
to the file /etc/rc.d/rc.local

After a reboot it all loaded and worked fine, just remember to make sure the little light on the f12 button is blue, not red. This guide should work for other laptops and other distros as well (though obviously you'll likely need a different driver file to start off with). I hope this helps someone.
Old 6th July 2011, 03:38 PM
stoat Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: How I got wifi working on my Hp Pavilion dm1-3101ea using ndiswrapper

/etc/modules? In Fedora 15? That's something found in Debian or Ubuntu. Did your gedit command open such a file, and did it have some text contents already? I wonder if that step is even doing anything in Fedora. It doesn't sound like it because you had to add a modprobe line to rc.local anyway.

Sometimes, the -ma or -mi options in ndiswrapper (see ndiswrapper --help) will create /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper with contents that will make the ndiswrapper module load automatically. Next time, you can try those instead of the -m option (and your rc.local entry). But don't throw all three at it like some people do because -ma and -mi completely overwrite the file, and the -m option produces some errors if it is done after either of the other two (i.e., try it first like you did). I just experimented with them until I found the one that worked for me and just did that from then on. For me, it was -mi. Another thing about this particular part of it is the files in /etc/modprobe.d should have a .conf ending nowadays. I don't know if ndiswrapper has kept up with changes like that. I tell people to give the file a .conf ending if ndiswrapper -m (or -ma or -mi) doesn't give it one. But your rc.local idea is okay, too.

Did you know that RPM Fusion has an rt2860 kmod driver? Maybe you tried that and didn't like it.
Old 6th July 2011, 03:55 PM
gav989 Offline

linuxchrome

haha no i didn't know there was a kmod driver

there's a day i'll never get back....

also no the modules file didn't exist already, i was following other guides and included it here in case it did do something

i'm an amateur at all this so i don't really know much about ndiswrapper parameters, i just followed what people in forums said

thanks for the info though

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

haha no i didn't know there was a kmod driver

there's a day i'll never get back....

also no the modules file didn't exist already, i was following other guides and included it here in case it did do something

i'm an amateur at all this so i don't really know much about ndiswrapper parameters, i just followed what people in forums said

thanks for the info though
Old 6th July 2011, 04:11 PM
stoat Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Well, if your ndiswrapper method is working to your satisfaction, then I would stick with that for now. Someday, you can give the RPM Fusion kmod driver a try. I used ndiswrapper for a long time before there were Linux drivers for my Broadcom cards. It worked fine. At first, I compiled it from source and recompiled it after every new kernel. That didn't bother me. Then the RPM Fusion kmod version of ndiswrapper came and I switched to that. I continued to use it for a while even after the first reverse engineered driver for Broadcom arrived. I flip-flopped back and forth between them until I eventually moved away from ndiswrapper. But I for one am glad that ndiswrapper is still around.

P.S: Another thing you should know about is the livna.org repo mentioned in your first post is not involved in this matter. In fact, nowadays Livna maintains only a single package related to DVD playback (libdvdcss), and the version of that file hasn't been updated in a long time. The Livna repo is offline a lot anyway. IMO, installing that repo will only cause trouble when using yum. I just keep libdvdcss in my stash of files and never install livna.org any more.
Old 6th July 2011, 06:34 PM
gav989 Offline

linuxchrome

ok cool i'll keep that in mind.

i'm not so great at the whole linux thing yet so when i inevitably ruin this install and need to reinstall i'll try what you've suggested

thanks

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------

ok cool i'll keep that in mind.

i'm not so great at the whole linux thing yet so when i inevitably ruin this install and need to reinstall i'll try what you've suggested

thanks

Tags
dmea, ndiswrapper, pavilion, wifi, working