Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th July 2011, 04:41 PM
Hnx25 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Angry LiveUSB creator ascii error

Hi, I´m completely new with Linux and wanted to create a LiveUSB for Fedora with the creator... it sounded really easy but now I´m desperate. I got following message from the creator:

Fedora-15-i686-Live-Desktop.iso selected
Verifying filesystem...
Verifying SHA256 checksum of LiveCD image...
Extracting live image to USB device...
ascii
LiveUSB creation failed!
ascii

My USB is in FAT format and I already reformatted, tried i686 and x86_64 but nothing, it is always the same message!!

Please, could anyone help me?

Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 04:53 AM
edgenet Offline

windows_7opera
Re: LiveUSB creator ascii error

Hi mate,

Got the same thing, and after about an hour of troubleshooting and generally hating my computer, I found that if you put the .iso in the same folder as the program it should work.
Old 18th July 2011, 09:45 AM
Hnx25 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Hey, thank you a lot... I hated my computer as well!!

Anyway, this definitely solves the problem!
Old 20th May 2013, 02:45 AM
danquebec Offline

linuxfirefox

Okay I know the question was asked a long time ago but the thing is that this thread gets fist result with a Google search.

So, the problem is simple, and it’s very stupid: it doesn’t understand folders in non ASCII symbols. *facepalm*.

So if your .iso is in /home/name/Téléchargements/, the software displays the very useful error message “ascii” and doesn’t work.

You just have to move it to a folder where all the path contains only ascii symbols.

Tags
ascii, liveusb creator