Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th July 2011, 07:50 PM
hokori Offline

linuxmintfirefox
Wireless do not want to turn on

Hi, I am new to Fedora, switched from 4 years Ubuntu use due to Unity, and thus also new to this forum but I hope that you can help me, so I later on can give back to the community.

My problem is that the Wireless in Network Manager refuse to go to "on", or to be more correct it goes to "on" for about a second and then back to "off". My computer which uses F15, a Lenovo B560 laptop, have a BCM4313 and the apparent reason is that after that I installed the broadcom-wl and run "su -c 'modprobe wl'" so did I get the response "FATAL: Driver not found". However, the earlier non-existing wireless button in the network manager had appeard after the installation, id est the broadcom-wl must have been in plase.

I am thankful for any idea about how to solve this problem and thanks on beforehand // hokori
Old 13th July 2011, 11:13 PM
mmyers1474 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Wireless do not want to turn on

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokori View Post
Hi, I am new to Fedora, switched from 4 years Ubuntu use due to Unity, and thus also new to this forum but I hope that you can help me, so I later on can give back to the community.

My problem is that the Wireless in Network Manager refuse to go to "on", or to be more correct it goes to "on" for about a second and then back to "off". My computer which uses F15, a Lenovo B560 laptop, have a BCM4313 and the apparent reason is that after that I installed the broadcom-wl and run "su -c 'modprobe wl'" so did I get the response "FATAL: Driver not found". However, the earlier non-existing wireless button in the network manager had appeard after the installation, id est the broadcom-wl must have been in plase.

I am thankful for any idea about how to solve this problem and thanks on beforehand // hokori
I can't be absolutely certain but have heard that some of the Lenovo laptops use hardware that causes linux to load the acer WMI module which causes this exact problem. If this is the case then edit this file:

/etc/modprob.d/blacklist.conf

and add the following at the end:

blacklist acer-wmi

I suspect this will resolve the issue.
Old 13th July 2011, 11:20 PM
bbfuller Offline

linuxopera

The Lenovo IdeaPad V570 in this thread:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=266687

had a similar problem and was cured by that same fix.

Well worth a try.
Old 26th February 2012, 05:42 PM
chabelokid Offline

linuxchrome

Thank you very much mmyers1474, that was the solution. I was dealing with this for two days now.

Tags
turn, wireless