Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th July 2011, 10:32 AM
ibrahim52 Offline

windows_7firefox
Looking Forward to Reinstall F15

Hello,
I never though of getting stick to Fedora so much but unfortunately i have only 20GB of LVM partition which i want to resize or expand. But if i am not wrong, there is no way i can do with any partition manager and more over i am planning to reinstall Fedora from scratch having a good size. If any one can help, attached below is the screenshot for my current HDD configuration. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WANTED.png
Views:	96
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	21441  
Old 15th July 2011, 05:46 PM
michaaa62 Offline

linuxopera
Re: Looking Forward to Reinstall F15

With this setup you have, best chances are to move your XP-Partition right after the Win7-Partition. Then you have wasted three of the 4 primary partitions possible for windows. Now create an extended partition for all the logical partition you want to create for Fedora. Gparted might get the job done.
But please post a screenshot of what gparted thinks about the disk first!
Old 16th July 2011, 06:48 PM
ibrahim52 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
With this setup you have, best chances are to move your XP-Partition right after the Win7-Partition. Then you have wasted three of the 4 primary partitions possible for windows. Now create an extended partition for all the logical partition you want to create for Fedora. Gparted might get the job done.
But please post a screenshot of what gparted thinks about the disk first!

Below is the screenshot for Gparted, kindly look at it.

Old 16th July 2011, 09:05 PM
markkuk Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

You must increase the size of the extended partition /dev/sda4 so that all the unallocated space at the end of the disk is inside /dev/sda4. Then you can extend /dev/sda7 or create additional logical partitions.
Old 17th July 2011, 11:21 AM
ibrahim52 Offline

linuxfirefox

Perfect in that 20GB i had installed windows XP but its ok even if i have to remove as long as Windows 7 Partition is there. I will give it a try and will let you know.But if i am not wrong, LVM is not supported by GPARTED ? is it ?

---------- Post added at 02:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 AM ----------

/dev/sda4 when i right click on it i see only MANAGE FLAGS and INFORMATION option as enabled and not any other like resize/move

---------- Post added at 02:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 AM ----------

GPARTED is installed locally in Fedora, shall i try with a Live CD ?
Old 17th July 2011, 11:26 AM
michaaa62 Offline

linuxopera

You should do it from a Live-CD. You have to unmount all the partitions in the extended partition to increase it.
Old 17th July 2011, 06:30 PM
ibrahim52 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quite strange i was able to resize the extended dev/sda4 to maximum but still the unallocated space is there and no options available for lvm partition to resize or increase it. Kindly please check the screenshot below

Old 18th July 2011, 12:09 PM
ibrahim52 Offline

linuxfirefox

Shall i remove everything and do a clean install because anyhow it keeps showing that i have some Bad sectors in Drive and my only reason to expand Fedora is because i don't want to keep switching between windows and Fedora all the time, instead i would run Windows through VMWare. Your help will be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 19th July 2011, 10:00 PM
michaaa62 Offline

linuxopera

Do you have enough space to backup data, then do that first!
Easiest would be to install F15 from scratch, but please be more precise which of the partitions you want to preserve.
Make as much free space as you can to have enough space for root and data. The installer will pickup the free space.
Old 21st July 2011, 11:11 PM
ibrahim52 Offline

windows_7firefox

Yeah i have external hdd , where i can move my data and start the installation of fedora with more space but if i may ask what would be the best way to format the FEDORA partition as i don't want to do it from Windows Disk Manager.

Tags
f15, forward, reinstall