Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th July 2011, 10:18 AM
gavinjb Offline

windows_7firefox
Switching Between Laptop and Monitor Displays

Hi,

I am trying to setup Fedora to replicate my Windows Setup, but cant seem to work it out.

In windows I have it configured so that if I have an external Monitor connected that my Laptop screen is diabled and the External is at highest Res, but as soon as I disconnect my Monitor it enables the internal Monitor, can anyone tell me how I can do this with Fedora.

I think I need to use xrandr but could do with some pointers on how to write the script, my ideas are as follows

A continuously running script that has variable that holds if external monitor is connected, that checks every few seconds to see if monitor is disconencted (not sure how to do this) and if it is chnage the value of the variable and then run the relavant xrandr command.

Can anyone help,

Thanks,

Gavin,
Old 16th July 2011, 07:08 PM
David Batson Offline

linuxopera
Re: Switching Between Laptop and Monitor Displays

This is how I did it using a hotkey sequence to run a script to toggle displays.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpo...81&postcount=4
Old 17th July 2011, 04:50 PM
gavinjb Offline

linuxfirefox

Thanks, the script looks like it will do what I need, but I take it there is no way of automating the process?
Old 17th July 2011, 06:10 PM
David Batson Offline

linuxopera

Could be, but that is beyond my ken.

Tags
displays, laptop, monitor, switching